2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange thing, all of a sudden both of my windshield wipers are traveling too far and hitting the painted area on the sides of the glass. I've never had the wipers off, only thing I have had done recently is a new battery installed. Any idea what has happened? :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
They removed the cowl and wipers to install the new battery?
Also, the battery was not obtained at a Ford Dealer. They mis-adjusted when they removed the wipers and cowl.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Also, the battery was not obtained at a Ford Dealer. They mis-adjusted when they removed the wipers and cowl.
If you want to have a crack at fixing this problem yourself MP perhaps you could try this:-

1. Remove wiper bolt covers and bolts to remove wipers by gently levering them off by hand taking a note of which side wiper is above the other.

2. Turn on ignition and turn wiper lever on for a few seconds and off around 3 times to adjust spindles correctly. Turn off ignition.

3. Replace wipers taking care to align them approx. with the 'H' pattern on windscreen.

4. Wet screen and see how they function.

5. Please don't flame me if it doesn't work but I read this solution elsewhere on these forums. :)

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Actually I did get my dealership to install the new battery, had to in order to get warranty. I never thought of them removing the cowl and wipers. You guys ROCK thanks. :)

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,341 Posts
Actually I did get my dealership to install the new battery, had to in order to get warranty. I never thought of them removing the cowl and wipers. You guys ROCK thanks. :)
Well, if you've got to go back to the dealer to get them to 'fix' the wiper alignment they messed-up when replacing the battery ..... that might be a good opportunity to see if they'll 'throw-in' that SYNC update you asked about in another thread as recompense for your 2-trip hassle.

:eek: ;)

(though I still suspect the SYNC update won't make any difference in your particular case as I mentioned in that other thread)

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And ask, if they have not already, reset the BMS (Battery Monitoring System).

You'd think they would huh? You never know though thanks. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
@MoneyPit1946 - If they didn’t aligned the wiper to begin with, I doubt that they’ve gone through the proper procedure.

·
Registered
784 Posts
When removing wipers. the wiper control arm switch is to be in the off position.
When replacing wipers there are line up marks embedded in the windshield glass for proper alignment
If this is done you will never have a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish the wipers went that far to begin with, driving with the wipers on when it's snowing bugs me so much having the 2-3 inches of snow on the sides of the windshield.

·
Super Moderator
2,063 Posts
I wish the wipers went that far to begin with, driving with the wipers on when it's snowing bugs me so much having the 2-3 inches of snow on the sides of the windshield.

The maximum sweep position is adjustable using an OBD2 interface and ForScan (or FoCCCus for pre '17 models) software. I've posted info on it previously- searching should hopefully find it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So firstly, hey all! I joined the forum because I saw others here having similar-ish wiper issues and hoped I could get some guidance (as the local Ford dealership wanted to bill me 1.5 hours just to put new wiper arms on mine... it took less than 5 minutes for me to do it myself.)

2014 Titanium 2.0 (unsure year/trim matters.)

Suddenly the driver side wiper is getting pushed by the passenger wiper and not going high enough. Then it goes too far down low when it goes back. I have tried repeatedly to re-align them, but I don't believe it's related to positioning BECAUSE when I put the arms back on I noticed the bolt for the passenger one tightened fine. When I tried tightening the one for the driver side I had to hold the wiper in place because otherwise it just pushed the wiper up the windshield (as if the motor isn't holding it in any particular place.)

I suspect at this point the motor is shot, but would like some guidance before randomly buying and replacing parts.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
667 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you go back to some of those previous discussions I believe you'll likely find a solution to your issue.

·
Registered
287 Posts
So firstly, hey all! I joined the forum because I saw others here having similar-ish wiper issues and hoped I could get some guidance (as the local Ford dealership wanted to bill me 1.5 hours just to put new wiper arms on mine... it took less than 5 minutes for me to do it myself.)

2014 Titanium 2.0 (unsure year/trim matters.)

Suddenly the driver side wiper is getting pushed by the passenger wiper and not going high enough. Then it goes too far down low when it goes back. I have tried repeatedly to re-align them, but I don't believe it's related to positioning BECAUSE when I put the arms back on I noticed the bolt for the passenger one tightened fine. When I tried tightening the one for the driver side I had to hold the wiper in place because otherwise it just pushed the wiper up the windshield (as if the motor isn't holding it in any particular place.)

I suspect at this point the motor is shot, but would like some guidance before randomly buying and replacing parts.

Thanks!
Read my method here: https://www.fordescape.org/threads/2013-ford-escap-windshield-wipers-stopped-working.113316/post-1123825

Try leaving the ignition on when you're tightening them as I suggest in the alternative method.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really appreciate the help! I had to try a couple times, the driver's side seemed to need to sit a TINY bit higher than the middle of the indicator mark but it seems to be working fine now. Very frustrating design....

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Strange thing, all of a sudden both of my windshield wipers are traveling too far and hitting the painted area on the sides of the glass. I've never had the wipers off, only thing I have had done recently is a new battery installed. Any idea what has happened? :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issue with the passenger side hitting the painted trim. We you able to resolve your issue on your Escape?

·
Super Moderator
2,063 Posts
Check if they park correctly within the etched marks on the lower windscreen.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am having the same issue with the passenger side hitting the painted trim. We you able to resolve your issue on your Escape?
Yes, the dealership messed up when they removed the cowl to change my battery. It's OK now. (y)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts