2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted before about my moms car issues. It's going to cost 2-3k to fix. She has 4 coes that have to do with fuel, acceleration and the turbo. She also has a transmission leak. She bought it used and still owes 11k. We went tonight to try to buy another used one but they only want to give her 6500 for the car and tack what's left of the loan onto the new loan. Has anyone spent this much in repairs and all was good afterwards?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,740 Posts
Sounds like getting a second opinion/ quote would be a good idea. Nobody on here will be able to provide useful advice from the info you've posted and without looking at the vehicle. It does sound like the dealer is just going off the codes and throwing parts at it- perhaps without checking everything over properly first?

Original post is here for anyone responding:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like getting a second opinion/ quote would be a good idea. Nobody on here will be able to provide useful advice from the info you've posted and without looking at the vehicle. It does sound like the dealer is just going off the codes and throwing parts at it- perhaps without checking everything over properly first?

Original post is here for anyone responding:
well they started with 2 codes - they said it could be more plus the trans leak. They all had to do with acceleration, throttle , fuel and possibly the main brain of the car p2138 , bulkhead connector, p008b, p06a7, p2127
The car isn't driveable and we had already bought it to our regular mechanic.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
First of all I'm sorry to hear your story. It sucks that this happens way more often then it should. Secondly can I ask how much the car you were looking at cost?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all I'm sorry to hear your story. It sucks that this happens way more often then it should. Secondly can I ask how much the car you were looking at cost?
it was 21k escape titanium 50k miles. She decided to have it repaired for now so it gives her more options.
I'll update was the final cost was.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It will almost always make more financial sense to repair the car you have than buy a new one, especially with the used car market so hot right now. Get a few estimates from local highly rated mechanics. In her case she would throw away nearly twice the repair cost trading it in vs fixing it and a used one would lose at least half that amount driving off the lot. Fix for sure

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hope all goes well. All this being said, many of us haven't had terrible luck with our Escapes. Or at least, mine's been a trooper in the almost two years I've had it. Couple little minor things, but warranty has taken care of those. I've only had an AC issue and I needed the clock spring replaced in the steering column because it stopped cruise control from working. But nothing that affected it driving, thankfully. Just "irritations". Once the issues are ironed out, I wish your mom the same luck.

Reactions: cameragirl
1 - 7 of 7 Posts