2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I used to be a Chevrolet guy, First car was a 1955 Chevy Belair 2 door I built-up from scratch. I was 15 win I started working on it and got a part time job working for the machine shop. They ended up owing more money than the work they had done so they hired me..haha Chevy was easy and cheap to make go fast back then, Ford was next cheapest and the hemi's were the most expensive. A 15 year old with no money back then choice was easy to make. Anyway back on point. After the GM/Govt bailout that sealed the deal for me. I would take a Z-06 if they gave it to me, but I will never buy another GM vehicle. Opinions vary I understand, just mine.

I have mixed feelings. There are a lot of regular people who are working and feeding their families because the company was kept afloat. That part is good. Beyond that ... blah.

---

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
The German and American makes (sadly Chrysler can no longer be counted after Daimler bailed) all take my votes, The Germans because of their outstanding engineering and the Americans because they are ours. These 2 countries (ok, 3 including our partners to the north) are the only ones that actually build cars for the long haul, Getting parts for 50 year old cars, not from Asia. Yes they all have their bumps in the road, but they stick in the long term. The other makes just pull out when things go sour. Final ranking: MB, Ford, VW, GM, BMW. But GM is checking their mirrors.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Never another made in China General Motors vehicle for me . I got a brand new Chev Uplander back in 2008.
In and out of the garage for service continually .The last warranty repair that I signed for the dealer was twenty five thousand dollars. Good for the dealer because they get paid for it but an inconvenience for me for two days with no loaner car. I got rid of that vehicle well before the warranty was up and it still had very low mileage on it .
Don't know how many of the Chev addicts have seen this and if you haven't it might change your mind.

I am sure loving my new Ford Escape now . So far it is an awesome vehicle .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvl5Gan69Wo

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
that is a pretty slanted video.

maybe 70% of GM vehicles arent made in the US, because alot of them are made in Canada, and Europe, and also china.

the Chinese market is huge and how GM is making alot of there money. arguably if they didnt expand into china (they're not moving to China, they havent given up elsewhere) they wouldnt be profitable now. So china is keeping american GM jobs afloat.

·
Registered
135 Posts
that is a pretty slanted video.

maybe 70% of GM vehicles arent made in the US, because alot of them are made in Canada, and Europe, and also china.

Yes , it is slanted alright . . straight in the direction of China and lots of them are assembled in USA and Canada and Europe with Chinese made parts. Not made in those countries.
Every part that had to be replaced on mine said made in China right on it. . The simplest and most basic part was the bowtie emblem that delaminated FOUR times in one year . Made in China right on the back of it . Dealer was very good and happy about it because they billed out a half hour labour at sixty bucks a pop every time for a five minute job . They just said they are having a bad run of Chinese parts and they will keep changing them under warranty until they send us some better ones .

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I had one "foreign" car, an '11 Acura MDX. It had an engine built in the USA, a transmission built in Japan, trim pieces from Mexico, and it was assembled in Canada. Now they are assembled in the US.

My '14 Grand Cherokee had a Mexican made 5.7 Hemi, a German built transmission, and assembled in Detroit.

My Escape has an engine built in Spain.

Country of origin doesn't mean much.

---

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I'm a firm believer in buying American. So far I've bought 13 brand new cars. I started out with Chrysler products, had a few GM's in the middle, and my last 8 were Ford products. We were buying my wife a new vehicle in 2003 and were looking at a Chevrolet Blazer. Being a Ford man I asked her to try an Escape. She loved it, we bought it, and it's still going strong. I've had very good luck with my Fords, Mercury, Lincoln and now Escape. Why look anywhere else. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Yes , it is slanted alright . . straight in the direction of China and lots of them are assembled in USA and Canada and Europe with Chinese made parts. Not made in those countries.
Every part that had to be replaced on mine said made in China right on it. . The simplest and most basic part was the bowtie emblem that delaminated FOUR times in one year . Made in China right on the back of it . Dealer was very good and happy about it because they billed out a half hour labour at sixty bucks a pop every time for a five minute job . They just said they are having a bad run of Chinese parts and they will keep changing them under warranty until they send us some better ones .
I sympathise with you. I drove 800km in a rental Uplander. it was awful. and I certainly have had my share of cheap ebay parts.

but there were statements made in that video that seemed heavily biased and I couldn't accept at face value without further research.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I sympathise with you. I drove 800km in a rental Uplander. it was awful. and I certainly have had my share of cheap ebay parts.

but there were statements made in that video that seemed heavily biased and I couldn't accept at face value without further research.

I could fill a whole page of all the problems that Uplander had in the first year while under warranty but I am not going to take the time to do it . Main thing is that it is not mine anymore .

I fully understand that many things are made in different countries now . It is just the way it is with manufacturers going where the cheap labor is . Many countries I don't mind but for GM to farm their vehicles and parts out to China is one of the worst cases of this scenario .
I have been a woodworker for MANY years and practically all the power tools are farmed out to a different country now . The ones from Taiwan and Korea usually are fairly close to the standards of when they were made in North America .
The ones made in China are generally junk and are made with a short life of built in obsolescence so they can sell more as soon as it wears out (something like the Uplander was)

I am also a musician and . . . heck . . even my Matrtin guitar is made in Mexico rather than in Nazareth Pennsylvania where they were made for eons . Some models still are . They didn't cut corners on it like guitars that are made in China. If the Martin had been made in China I never would have bought it .I owned a music store when I lived out east in Ontario (Mr. Muzic) and I know what kind of junk China makes in the way of instruments and musical accessories. .

There is a standard saying around these parts (a joke of course) that WalMart is going to have to increase the size of their automotive service centers for when they start selling GM cars and trucks in their stores . . . lol . . .

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I recently test drove a Colorado the new one and liked it.. but after my Impala starting falling apart at year 6 with only 60k on it I ran back to Ford..lol... had my Impala held up better I probably would have bought a new Impala they are really nice but was happy to trade mine in for an Escape.

I really wanted to trade my Escape in for a 15 Ti but what they wanted to give me for my 13 was bleeping joke! So Ill keep my SE

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hope for GM people!

My Dad was a second line foreman for a GM BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) assembly plant back when I was growing up and never bought or drove anything but a Ford, Lincoln or Mercury. I remember asking him why, when he could get a substantial discount on a GM product. In typical Southern style he replied, "boy, I see how they are made". Even though Ford had some quality problems in the past, I've never owned anything but Fords.

I recently cut myself and to my surprise, I bled Blue!

For y'all that are GM fans, there is hope out there, as all of the 2015 models that have tailgates, have built in hand warmers so that when you have to push it back to the dealer for a recall, your hands won't get cold!

>:D

·
Registered
135 Posts
My Dad was a second line foreman for a GM BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) assembly plant back when I was growing up and never bought or drove anything but a Ford, Lincoln or Mercury. I remember asking him why, when he could get a substantial discount on a GM product. In typical Southern style he replied, "boy, I see how they are made". Even though Ford had some quality problems in the past, I've never owned anything but Fords.

I recently cut myself and to my surprise, I bled Blue!

For y'all that are GM fans, there is hope out there, as all of the 2015 models that have tailgates, have built in hand warmers so that when you have to push it back to the dealer for a recall, your hands won't get cold!

Speaking of Tailgates ,
My Chev Uplander had a bad rattle in the tailgate . Dealer pulled it apart and re-assembled it three times. It still rattled like crazy when I sold it . It was all over the forums about the rest of them being the same where they would rattle less in summer than in winter but GM never did find a cure for it at the time of me getting rid of mine . Yep . . . made in China. Never again for me .

·
Registered
150 Posts
Don't just blindly diss all GM products. I have a 2014 Corvette, and I'd stack that car up against anything I've ever owned (including BMW's, Lexuses (Lexi??) and others). The build quality, performance and ownership experience have been first rate.

And on my second Chevy Volt, with not one problem occurring yet.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It's not about the cars it's about the company. My post 16# of this thread:
GM has been mismanaged from the top for years, it's been common knowledge within the industry. They thought they were too big to fail, after all at one point they were the worlds largest corporation. The lower level people have done and still do a great job, that's why GM is as successful as it is.
The to big to fail mentality is the reason I believe the current recall was ignored as long as it was, and why they took tax payer money ( your money and my money) to bail them out, and why I believe we will probably never see another dime of it.
It cracked me up, shortly after the government appointed GMs CEO he had the stones to come on national television (in a paid commercial) and say that they have done so well that they payed all the money back! A short time later we find out that they only played one third of the money back, and they used stimulus money (again our money) to do it!
All this is why I'm proud to own a Ford. They were in trouble too, but took no tax payer dollars, they restructured and made it work. I think they are better off for it, and I for one am putting my money where my mouth is with a new Ford in my driveway. I will never buy another NEW GM vehicle. I'm very happy with my decision.
Mark

·
Registered
230 Posts
very good point, car builders have all dipped deeply into safety since the 70's yet this issue of fires in rear end hits still have been happening, with the jeep liberty being the closest to the pinto in todays age , and in the same manor. fuel tank placed behind the bumper and between the rear axle, jeep to help, is simply giving every one a big HD trailer hitch to help take and spread the impact better to the unibody frame and will stop making the suv fully, replacing the model. ford did the same they stopped building the pinto and it's sister we knew as the mustang 2

thread question of would I buy a gm? yes but it would only be simply because ford doesn't build a corvette like 2 seat sports car

the ignition switch issue making all the fuss in the news now ,yes gm cheeped out on the switch but the real issue is how many pounds of keys people have on a key ring hanging off a item only meant for 2 or 3 max is the real deep rooted cause and gm is not alone there, I changed many a switch on vw's, audi's and Toyota's .

I guess that you don't remember the Ford GT from 2005-2006, over 4000 built not only whupped a$$ on the C6 but every other sports car including Ferrari. The new 2016 Ford GT with the 3.5 EB with over 600 HP will also prevail.
The only good the thing about GM is the parts interchangeability. When you are still using a 60 year old technology (1955-2015), I guess its something to brag about!

Reactions: leadmic

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not to change the subject, but!!!!!

I could fill a whole page of all the problems that Uplander had in the first year while under warranty but I am not going to take the time to do it . Main thing is that it is not mine anymore .

I fully understand that many things are made in different countries now . It is just the way it is with manufacturers going where the cheap labor is . Many countries I don't mind but for GM to farm their vehicles and parts out to China is one of the worst cases of this scenario .
I have been a woodworker for MANY years and practically all the power tools are farmed out to a different country now . The ones from Taiwan and Korea usually are fairly close to the standards of when they were made in North America .
The ones made in China are generally junk and are made with a short life of built in obsolescence so they can sell more as soon as it wears out (something like the Uplander was)

I am also a musician and . . . heck . . even my Matrtin guitar is made in Mexico rather than in Nazareth Pennsylvania where they were made for eons . Some models still are . They didn't cut corners on it like guitars that are made in China. If the Martin had been made in China I never would have bought it .I owned a music store when I lived out east in Ontario (Mr. Muzic) and I know what kind of junk China makes in the way of instruments and musical accessories. .

There is a standard saying around these parts (a joke of course) that WalMart is going to have to increase the size of their automotive service centers for when they start selling GM cars and trucks in their stores . . . lol . . .

MYoung,
Talk about Martin's, My wife and I just got back from the Yee Haw Blue Grass Festival in Florida and with 12 bands, 3 days, and every guitar was a Martin!!! Evidently, the Martins made in Mexico are QC'ed either in Mexico or in Nazareth PA . We go to a lot of Bluegrass festivals when we are at our summer home in VA and the majority of the guitars are Martin's. The D-35 is celebrating its 50th anniversary!!! GM should take a lesson!

Reactions: leadmic

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I'd buy a Caddy or higher end Buick, they are getting back to what made them the standouts at GM through the 60s early 70s, but the Escape definitely offered me the best bang for the buck, especially since it is more European than Asian. Didn't like any American car in the late 70s thru early 2000s, all German for me until '06 when I bought a Mercedes based Chrysler. Whoa, just realized, I have only bought Euro based cars for decades and still do (except for my Miata which didn't fit into any mold other than the British roadsters, whoops there's the Euro influence again! )

·
Registered
150 Posts
I guess that you don't remember the Ford GT from 2005-2006, over 4000 built not only whupped a$$ on the C6 but every other sports car including Ferrari. The new 2016 Ford GT with the 3.5 EB with over 600 HP will also prevail.
The only good the thing about GM is the parts interchangeability. When you are still using a 60 year old technology (1955-2015), I guess its something to brag about!

OK; I understand your point, but....the 2005-2006 GT retailed for about $150K, and the new one is estimated to be in the $250,000 range. Out of touch for many of us who can afford crummy little Corvettes at $60K.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I guess that I misread your post

OK; I understand your point, but....the 2005-2006 GT retailed for about $150K, and the new one is estimated to be in the $250,000 range. Out of touch for many of us who can afford crummy little Corvettes at $60K.

Oh, I'm sorry I guess I misread you post, I thought it said "thread question of would I buy a gm? yes but it would only be simply because ford doesn't build a corvette like 2 seat sports car" nothing about the cost. My bad!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've driven mostly GM's my whole life with great reliability. That said, I didn't like what GM had to offer in this segment. The Escape was a better price point per option then the Equinox/Terrain and had better power.
This is the second Ford I've ever owned, and I hope to god that it is more reliable then my 2005 F150, because it left me fuming over Fords quality. I owned it 8 months and it spend 5 of those months at the dealer for the same problem…

I'd have no problem buying a GM or Dodge again…

Every manufacture has problems, theres no getting away from it… Look at the new F150, when I was at the dealer looking at the Escape I looked at the F150's to see what they were like and I'd say 70% of the ones I looked at had body panel fitment issues because of the aluminium…

41 - 60 of 83 Posts