20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

2013 1.6 Coolant leak

I have a 2013 Ford Escape SE 1.6L GTDI. I have taken my car in to the dealership 3 different times for coolant loss. Ford customer service has been contacted and the dealership has tried all of the recommendations at this point. Ford is now telling me that they can see the coolant levels drop but, they can not find where it is going. Since they can't find where it is going then there isn't any issue with the car and it is "safe" to drive. The car has about 20,000 mile on it currently. I have had the vehicle in the shop for about 32 days now. This last time was 7 days in the shop with no solution. I was told that since Ford has can't find the leak there is no issue. I am wondering if anyone else is having the same issue with their Escape or am I just special. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
what is the build date on your 1.6?

This latest round of recalls is the third related to the 2013 Escape powered by the 1.6-liter engine. Last September 7600 units were recalled due to a cup plug within the cylinder head that could become dislodged, causing coolant to leak and possibly catch on fire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, look. "Esc-a-pay". Hey, it's spelled just like escape

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Ford Produces Fix in Voluntary Safety Recall of 2013 Escapes, 2013 Fusions with 1.6-liter Engines

• Ford today announced a corrective action to address potential engine overheating that could result in engine fires in 2013 Ford Escape SE and SEL models with the 1.6-liter engine and 2013 Ford Fusion SE and SEL models with the 1.6-liter engine
  • Ford will make updates to the cooling system software to better manage engine temperatures during a unique overheating condition. Original cooling system design was not able to address a loss of coolant system pressure under certain operating conditions. The new software will resolve this issue
  • Escapes equipped with the 2.0-liter and 2.5-liter engines are unaffected as are Fusions equipped with 2.5-liter and hybrid engines
  • Ford remains absolutely committed to continuously improving and providing the highest-quality vehicles to its customers. When a potential issue is identified, Ford acts promptly on behalf of customers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

The build date is January 17, 2013. It is under the current recall which Ford has told me they hope to have a solution by the end of June 2014. They told me I just need to keep taking it to the dealership and have them add coolant when it is low.
post #5 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

2013 1.6-Liter Ford Escape Recalled Fourth, Fifth Time for Fires

off our Forum

post #6 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 01:07 PM

New head in 5,4,3,......

No longer the owner of a 2014 Escape Titanium, Platinum White, 1.6L, FWD, 18" Alloys, Panoramic Roof, Nav.
Build Date 08/15/2013 (Thursday)
post #7 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke594 View Post
I have a 2013 Ford Escape SE 1.6L GTDI. I have taken my car in to the dealership 3 different times for coolant loss. Ford customer service has been contacted and the dealership has tried all of the recommendations at this point. ...
duke594,

I want to take a look at your customer service case and see what's going on with your Escape. Will you please PM me your VIN or case number?

Thanks!

Ashley

FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

post #8 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

PM sent.
post #9 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 01:24 PM

My bet is on micro cracks in the cylinder head. A small amount of coolant is being burned off and out the exhaust.

Is this a design flaw, or just caused from cooling issues? I'm sure we will never be told fully.

I remember back when the 1st generation Dodge Neon came out. A cheap head gasket was used which caused coolant leaks. Chrysler never did a full scale recall, and most repairs where left up to the customer.
post #10 of 205 Old 03-25-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CND_Escape View Post
My bet is on micro cracks in the cylinder head. A small amount of coolant is being burned off and out the exhaust.

Is this a design flaw, or just caused from cooling issues? I'm sure we will never be told fully.

I remember back when the 1st generation Dodge Neon came out. A cheap head gasket was used which caused coolant leaks. Chrysler never did a full scale recall, and most repairs where left up to the customer.
That is what I think is happening. However, Ford said they have checked that. I don't believe them. They never pulled/ disassembled the engine. How can they check the cylinder head for cracks?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page