2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

· Registered
3,677 Posts
Also, the Titanium version is expensive and should have no quality issues likes this, sad really. More to come....
Nothing to do with the trim level.

· Registered
5 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2017 SE. 2.5 weeks in the dealer shop to first locate and then fix the issue. Had Ford's engineers involved. Leak was coming thru the roof liner in right rear but the leak was actually coming thru the roof rack on left rear. They used so much sealant to fix it that the trim no longer fits properly. Dealer says there is nothing wrong with the trim.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2 Posts
Leak was not at the roof rack mounts....

Brand new 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. Severe roof leak right under the rear passenger side roof rack mounting point. Inside rear hatch area water drips down into head liner(soaked head liner) and down the inside panels right over where the rear fuse box is. Under that area are large vent holes and the water drips from there down into a recessed area in the rear hatch floor. Completely soaked a large bath towel placed in the area, just from rain water. Have appointment Tuesday (8 Aug 17) to have problem fixed. Well, after my research, its obvious this is a common recurring problem Ford needs to officially address and create a recall & tech service bulletin. Found this video on you tube, 2013 Ford Escape Leaky Roof Rack Fix: HOW TO ESACPE. I guess the specific permatex sealant he uses works. I have used it to re-adhere rubber door seals before and it works great for that. Can't believe this is a problem. I have 5 cars (5 drivers) and the newest one, this one, has a crazy roof leak. I'm going to see If I really need to replace the head liner. The Ford dealership I'm taking my car to also has a full service body shop. Hoping they have the expertise to properly remove and replace the rear roof liner so it looks new again. Will update with the results but if they can't get it right the first time I'm fixing it myself. Although, I bought the warranty so it better get fixed. Frustrating. Also, the Titanium version is expensive and should have no quality issues likes this, sad really. More to come....
Update...Leak was found where the electrical cables (wiring harness in a rubber sleeve) from the rear lift gate enters the car frame near the roof.. the dealership is providing a rental car that they are paying for. Dealer service guy said they were 100% sure where the leak is coming from and they are ordering all the parts to fix the problem...

· Registered
1 Posts
2017 Titanium Water Leak

I purchased my Escape in September 2016 and by December with all of the rain had water leaking into the right rear cargo area - coming in through the fuse box area. Dealer had my Escape for almost 40 days trying to fix the leak (they were back logged with other leaks to fix). While fixing the initial leak I had found, the dealer found a second leak coming in from the right side roof rail area. The dealer believed they had fixed both leaks and returned the vehicle - all under warranty. The dealer had to order a new headliner that took 8 weeks to get. After 5 more days in the shop to install a new head liner I got my Escape back. Now in August, I now have a leak coming in on the headliner near the front right "A" pillar causing staining to the headliner. Now back to the dealer. How long will they have it this time? :crying: Anyone else having similar issues and did your dealer/bodyshop fix the problem? Has anyone been able to have success in having Ford buy your Escape back under the Lemon Law?

· Registered
155 Posts
We'll see.....my lemon law suit was filed a week ago after multiple repair attempts and over 30 days out of service.

· Registered
61 Posts
Just thought I'd jump in and post my experience with my 2017 Escape SE, Factory Roof racks, no sunroof, built in Louisville Ky, Delivered 4th week of August 2017, Leak first noted in May 2018:

2 weeks ago I had found completely by accident a large amount of water in my spare tire well, I'm talking 1/2 gallon (2-2.5L) with no exaggeration. At that time I thought I must've gotten a ice chunks or something in there over the winter accidentally due to opening the hatch and it falling in. The spare tire liner was soaked! I hung it in my shed to dry and drained the tire well. Then I started thinking about it. That was A LOT of water, something was wrong.

So I jumped on the forum here and found that the grommets at the top corners could be a point of moisture entry. So I looked at those. The grommets sure didn't seem to be a real tight fit, so I applied a little permatex sealer to them and reinstalled. I'd hoped that was it for that.

Then one night we had an overnight rain, nothing torrential, just a steady spring soaking. The next morning I opened my hatch to check that my grommet sealing was successful and was shocked at how much water was in there again after just one rainfall event! At least a quart (1L)! Something was definitely VERY wrong. I then suspected the roof rails. I called my dealer and made appointment to drop off with the Ford approved body shop to deal with it.

What they found was: 1) that the factory seal was not present/not sufficiently applied to seal the roof seam. But it appeared that someone attempted to seal it with another type of sealing that is now dried and cracked allowing water infiltration. This 'fix' was applied after paint, whereas the factory seam seal is applied before paint. The workmanship was such that the shop was leaning towards this 'fix' application was done sometime after leaving the factory (by unskilled labor) since it had been done after painting the vehicle, and they inquired if I had the roof rails removed at some point. I did not, but this description closely matches what other members here noted as to what their problem in roof rack area looked like - that someone in the factory attempted to seal defective the seam with Dum-dum sealer. 2) the drivers tail light was also missing seam sealer, and was also allowing water ingression.

This is absolutely a manufacturing defect and I would have to assume that it isn't a one off problem with my build, it has a probability to affect every Escape built around the time mine was in the production line up until they noted the problem on the line and resolved.... it or else it is a production problem on the line that is still an issue..

I would highly advise any others with water leak problems to focus on this area as the point of ingression if you're experiencing water ingression. If you currently are not, I would suggest maybe having it looked at preemptively because the nature of the 'fix' sealer is to crack and shrink over time which is when the water starts to flow, and not an immediate problem straight out of production.

· Registered
3,677 Posts
Just thought I'd jump in and post my experience with my 2017 Escape SE, Factory Roof racks, no sunroof, built in Louisville Ky, Delivered 4th week of August 2017, Leak first noted in May 2018:

2 weeks ago I had found completely by accident a large amount of water in my spare tire well, I'm talking 1/2 gallon (2-2.5L) with no exaggeration. At that time I thought I must've gotten a ice chunks or something in there over the winter accidentally due to opening the hatch and it falling in. The spare tire liner was soaked! I hung it in my shed to dry and drained the tire well. Then I started thinking about it. That was A LOT of water, something was wrong.

So I jumped on the forum here and found that the grommets at the top corners could be a point of moisture entry. So I looked at those. The grommets sure didn't seem to be a real tight fit, so I applied a little permatex sealer to them and reinstalled. I'd hoped that was it for that.

Then one night we had an overnight rain, nothing torrential, just a steady spring soaking. The next morning I opened my hatch to check that my grommet sealing was successful and was shocked at how much water was in there again after just one rainfall event! At least a quart (1L)! Something was definitely VERY wrong. I then suspected the roof rails. I called my dealer and made appointment to drop off with the Ford approved body shop to deal with it.

What they found was: 1) that the factory seal was not present/not sufficiently applied to seal the roof seam. But it appeared that someone attempted to seal it with another type of sealing that is now dried and cracked allowing water infiltration. This 'fix' was applied after paint, whereas the factory seam seal is applied before paint. The workmanship was such that the shop was leaning towards this 'fix' application was done sometime after leaving the factory (by unskilled labor) since it had been done after painting the vehicle, and they inquired if I had the roof rails removed at some point. I did not, but this description closely matches what other members here noted as to what their problem in roof rack area looked like - that someone in the factory attempted to seal defective the seam with Dum-dum sealer. 2) the drivers tail light was also missing seam sealer, and was also allowing water ingression.

This is absolutely a manufacturing defect and I would have to assume that it isn't a one off problem with my build, it has a probability to affect every Escape built around the time mine was in the production line up until they noted the problem on the line and resolved.... it or else it is a production problem on the line that is still an issue..

I would highly advise any others with water leak problems to focus on this area as the point of ingression if you're experiencing water ingression. If you currently are not, I would suggest maybe having it looked at preemptively because the nature of the 'fix' sealer is to crack and shrink over time which is when the water starts to flow, and not an immediate problem straight out of production.
Yep, I believe you are on to something. Its what I have been saying all along. For some reason (cost cutting maybe) the roof ditch is the problem area. Maybe Ford should watch this video.

Or this one:

Reactions: xXAvroArrowXx

· Registered
3 Posts
2017 Escape Titanium Rear Cargo Area Water Leak

I had noticed late last year that water was leaking on the right side of the rear cargo area. (You can see water trails around the fuse panel cover and water accumulation in the attached photos. Right side of carpet has also been wet.) My dealer's service advisor told me that I would have to bring it in on a Monday since the service company they use for water leaks only has a representative there on that day. After many more days of rain and continued leaking observed, I had my appointment this morning. Upon arrival and check-in at 7:15AM, I was advised that the "water man" wouldn't be at the dealership until around noon. Anticipating that diagnostics would have to be performed, I had taken the day off from work, but hadn't really wanted to spend all day in the customer waiting area. My dealer has provided excellent service in the past and I had no doubt that they would continue doing the same.

Around 12:30, my service advisor let me know that the tech had diagnosed the problem as "sealer cracking loose" and if he repaired it, I would have to pay between $300 - $400. I calmly said, "No, I don't think I'll be paying for it. This isn't anything I've caused." Then I reminded her that the vehicle was still under the basic bumper to bumper warranty. She also tells me that if he repaired it, I couldn't drive it in the rain which had been forecasted for today. My question to her: "Then what is Ford going to do for me?" Not intentionally being difficult with my service advisor, but just at the point that I'm annoyed.

Conclusion: I drove home in a rental and will be contacted when my Escape is ready to pick up. I'll post any new developments as they occur.

Attachments

· Registered
3 Posts
Update... I picked the car up the following afternoon and it finally got rained on yesterday and today. I've been through the carwash a few times since the repair was made but wasn't sure if the area was dried when the interior was cleaned. After an afternoon, evening and morning in the rain, no leaks were observed. Happy Escape owner again.:D

· Registered
3,677 Posts
I purchased my Escape in September 2016 and by December with all of the rain had water leaking into the right rear cargo area - coming in through the fuse box area. Dealer had my Escape for almost 40 days trying to fix the leak (they were back logged with other leaks to fix). While fixing the initial leak I had found, the dealer found a second leak coming in from the right side roof rail area. The dealer believed they had fixed both leaks and returned the vehicle - all under warranty. The dealer had to order a new headliner that took 8 weeks to get. After 5 more days in the shop to install a new head liner I got my Escape back. Now in August, I now have a leak coming in on the headliner near the front right "A" pillar causing staining to the headliner. Now back to the dealer. How long will they have it this time? :crying: Anyone else having similar issues and did your dealer/bodyshop fix the problem? Has anyone been able to have success in having Ford buy your Escape back under the Lemon Law?
Be nice if you gave us your vehicle specs. We don’t even know if you have roof racks.

Reactions: Gryffindor101

· Registered
61 Posts
Absolutely rediculous. Last spring it was my driver's side rear roof ditch leaking and now just yesterday I notice I have a disgusting water stain on the passenger front.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

· Registered
250 Posts
I just (hopefully) fixed my problem for good. I found when I took up the roof rack mount that it wasn't actually the rack but the sealant they used in the ditch. Whether from the rack install or just poor workmanship there were two voids in the sealer which appeared to have happened when the rack was tightened onto it and caused the sealant to come up around the mounting bracket and promulgated a crack extending forward in a triangular shape. Last weekend I put Permatex black RTV on the side I could see and it fixed 80% but i neglected the backside where there was another void. I RTV'd the heck out of the whole area to the point I had to wipe excess out after reattaching the mounting bracket. Had a heavy rain last night and its dry this morning. I do intend to file a complaint with the NTSB since the water leaks onto the curtain airbags and after the Takata incidents I know moisture and airbags are bad. I would recommend everyone else do the same for the same reason and maybe we cam prompt a recall for this. I am so mad because otherwise this is such a nice car and my experience is ruined by a few dollars of misapplied sealant.

· Registered
67 Posts
Absolutely rediculous. Last spring it was my driver's side rear roof ditch leaking and now just yesterday I notice I have a disgusting water stain on the passenger front.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Don't despair,
Ford has a spray /foaming "Upholstery Cleaner". Rub it in , leave it for at least 25 seconds. Towel it off.
Still there, repeat procedure. This stuff works!!!! It was recommended for this specific issue in a FOrd Bulletin.

· Registered
2017 Escape Titanium / 2021 Ford Bronco Sport OB+
70 Posts
update on my 17 leak. right on spot as the seams on the roof are completely shot and water is gushing in and they cannot figure it out.
link goes to my post in another water leak thread..

Anyone with succesfull remediation of the issue on their Escape would be greatly appreciated as this has been going on and they cannot seem to get a handle on the issue to resolve it.

· Registered
3,677 Posts
update on my 17 leak. right on spot as the seams on the roof are completely shot and water is gushing in and they cannot figure it out.
link goes to my post in another water leak thread..

Anyone with succesfull remediation of the issue on their Escape would be greatly appreciated as this has been going on and they cannot seem to get a handle on the issue to resolve it.
Why do they have the bolts sticking up out of the roof? Did they let the caulking dry and remove the bolts? Not sure I would of done it this way. And they gasket on the bottom of the pylons is pretty thin, so if the surface of the ditch is uneven, your going to get water intrusion. In your situation the correct fix is to completely remove the factory ditch caulking and reapply with new material which is a self leveling caulk. Pretty much just like this:

My successful fix is here, pics at post #13

· Registered
70 Posts
Thank you HayaiKuruma

This is the kind of thing I am looking for. I will keep you all posted onthe journeyto resolve

· Registered
70 Posts
update, Seam Sealer failed....waterfalls inside on both sides front and back and middle. after removing the rack the seam sealer is a bit of a mess in the pictures.

I can see how the roof rack mounts at each end can cause issues. But my question is why would the centre mount for the plastic strip clip do this?

Concern is now that the sheet metal of the roof has separated from the body causing the seam sealer to fail. The seam has split open even into the back hatch as you can see in a couple pictures. Body shop is involved now. And talking to Ford of Canada about it for warranty. Clearly a defect.

Attachments

· Registered
168 Posts
Looks like you got multiple layers of gunks sealants, was it not cleaned out completely or the stuff you put on separated?

· Registered
70 Posts
yes and no, they did clean off the previous layer to the primed sheet metal in patches, then sealed the patches, which wasn't what we agreed upon when we discussed this last attempt. The selaer was supposed to be applied the full seam, end to end. The Service manager also agreed that even that application was messy. The plan is to do the same again, but expanding to try and remove as much of the factory Seam sealer that has failed without damaging the paint. then put in different self leveling seam sealer to reseal it all as recommended by a local body shop. We shall see if this works. The challenging part is the cracks in the seam that go down the back end of the roof to the hatch area, that might have to be a separate application with something else more suitable for the vertical seam.
But there's a cost share in this where I am paying a little bit with Ford and the dealer chipping in most of the cost, so once this is done, if it fails, its completely Ford/ford dealers problem for 2 years to perma fix under the warranty terms.
I still feel I shouldn't have paid for any of it since the problem was first reported early on in the warranty period and not permanently resolved and the workmanship has been questionable but this seemed the best option to go with, and extend the warranty on this attempt.

At least this may buy enough time to dump this Escape for the new Bronco Sport :)

21 - 40 of 71 Posts