2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
The front b4 Bilstein struts 2014 and up are available from Demon Tweeks...75 quid each, plus exchange import tax etc here to Canada. They confirmed stock availability from Bilstein UK. Part numbers 22-298942 and 22-298959. Will report back when installed.

Just installed the B6 Bilstein 156530 rear shocks and notice a huge improvement and waiting for the B4 Struts to be delivered. H&R raising/adventure springs will be installed front and rear once the B4’s arrive.

I run the SUV about 800-1000km each week on our not so smooth Canadian logging roads. Time will tell how they hold up.

·
Registered
839 Posts
The front b4 Bilstein struts 2014 and up are available from Demon Tweeks...75 quid each, plus exchange import tax etc here to Canada. They confirmed stock availability from Bilstein UK. Part numbers 22-298942 and 22-298959. Will report back when installed.

Just installed the B6 Bilstein 156530 rear shocks and notice a huge improvement and waiting for the B4 Struts to be delivered. H&R raising/adventure springs will be installed front and rear once the B4’s arrive.

I run the SUV about 800-1000km each week on our not so smooth Canadian logging roads. Time will tell how they hold up.
When you say huge improvement on the rears, what exactly do you mean, rides better, smoother, or firmer for handling?..Why not the B4's for the rear, which are OEM type I believe..?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The rear end feels more planted and stable when cornering. I sometimes carry a dirt bike on the back which is why I went with the B6’s for the rears

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not yet, I’m just waiting for new strut mounts and bearings to arrive and then a day above zero degrees to do the install. I’ll update with pics when weather permits and provide some feedback on handling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you installed the B4 struts yet?
@BoostedE77

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Installed the B4 Bilstein front struts with the H&R adventure springs. The lift is as advertised at about 1.4 inches and sits level with the rear now.

The part numbers for the struts can be confirmed to fit. LHS 22-298942 and RHS 22-298959. I also purchased new strut bearings and mounts (Moog) new bump stops, strut boots and new rubber insulators (Ford OEM) that sit underneath the spring and above the strut base cup.

Will report back in a few days after I run it up and down some logging roads.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you installed the B4 struts yet?
@BoostedE77

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Update. I would hold off on purchasing the B4 and H&R raising spring kit (fronts) until I get a chance to run it up some rough roads...tested on a few major pot holes here in town and from what I can gather, the strut may be over extending and the strut/shock cylinder inside is “topping out”...less downward travel.

Had the front sruts installed by my local ford dealer...temps too low for driveway job. and even took the mechanic out for a ride to hit the same hole, and although I understand it is not recommended to do such, I believe the lack of downward travel is to blame. The mechanic said not to worry, however, my gut tells me I might need to install a limiting strap to prevent damage to the internals of the strut.

At any rate, I will be testing later this week up some rough logging roads ( 500+Kms)...f150 is my long-term solution but, will report back following the test.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe so...the strut base cup should accommodate stock and H&R raising / lowering springs for late 2014 Ford Escape/Kuga as described in this, and other threads, but before you order, provide your VIN number to confirm to your vendor that you have the later model front struts. If they don’t know, be skeptical. I had the late 2014 (Canadian) front struts/springs)...but have a build date of February 2014.

You may risk bottoming out sooner as apposed to topping out in my case.

The plus side for you...the bump stop in your lowered scenario would cushion the blow, which is not an option in my case raising the vehicle...

I’ll update soon after I run some hard road. Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Will those work with stock or lowering springs?
The B4 are sold as their "OEM" replacement. The valving is likely to be different to Ford struts, which will have an affect on the ride and handling (should be an improvement.) So they should work well with the stock springs, I don't know if anyone has tried them with lowered springs.

If you've got a 1.6l EcoBoost these might not fit your Escape? They're for the later models where Ford changed the front strut spring dimensions - around 2014 on? See first post.

...tested on a few major pot holes here in town and from what I can gather, the strut may be over extending and the strut/shock cylinder inside is “topping out”...less downward travel.
I guess you've got no idea on the lengths (when they are extended) compared to the OEM struts? They should be the same, but you never know. The springs should settle a bit in the first couple of days.

·
Super Moderator
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I just had a delivery. :) The 2014 on B4 struts with B6 inserts fitted. The insert part number is F4-BE5-H286-M1 going by the empty boxes included. (The inserts have been re-valved to match the 2008-2012 Kuga B6 strut and had the extension length changed to match as well.)

The only giveaway that they're not B4's is the diameter of the piston. It appears they've possibly welded on a threaded section to the B4 strut to secure the insert.

·
Super Moderator
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I've updated the first post- Bilstein USA is now officially listing the B4 struts and rear shocks for the later Escape models with the smaller diameter end coils on the strut spring. The part numbers are as per the info already posted.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I've updated the first post- Bilstein USA is now officially listing the B4 struts and rear shocks for the later Escape models with the smaller diameter end coils on the strut spring. The part numbers are as per the info already posted.
Yes you are correct , they finally show B4's front and rear for new ones..Whats strange to me is they are twin-tubes front and rear when Bilsteins have always been mono-tubes...and the Escapes rears OEMs are mono's,, not sure on the front OEM struts.....Front #'s 22-298942/ 22-298959...Rears # 19-298962

·
Registered
27 Posts
The B4 are sold as their "OEM" replacement. The valving is likely to be different to Ford struts, which will have an affect on the ride and handling (should be an improvement.) So they should work well with the stock springs, I don't know if anyone has tried them with lowered springs.

If you've got a 1.6l EcoBoost these might not fit your Escape? They're for the later models where Ford changed the front strut spring dimensions - around 2014 on? See first post.

I guess you've got no idea on the lengths (when they are extended) compared to the OEM struts? They should be the same, but you never know. The springs should settle a bit in the first couple of days.
No I didn’t measure the new struts vs the originals. After driving some rougher roads i am 100% certain they are topping out...not enough downward travel, and it’s really bad. Drove the same roads last week with no issues.

I’ll ask the mechanic to double check everything and possibly measure the downward travel when it’s on the lift vs upward to look into it further.

It going in Tuesday next week and will update when I know more.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So if we've got a pre-2014 change car, it doesn't matter what model we get so long as the strut is purchased loaded, correct? There are no changes to mounting or height or whatnot?

·
Super Moderator
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The info you're after is in the first post. Are you also talking specifically about the Bilstein struts or just Escape struts in general? There are other threads referring to struts that can be bought as an assembly (strut with spring fitted. eg. Monroe.) The ride height is determined by your spring- not the strut.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No I didn’t measure the new struts vs the originals. After driving some rougher roads i am 100% certain they are topping out...not enough downward travel, and it’s really bad. Drove the same roads last week with no issues.

I’ll ask the mechanic to double check everything and possibly measure the downward travel when it’s on the lift vs upward to look into it further.

It going in Tuesday next week and will update when I know more.
Update of B4 struts with H&R raising springs...After closer inspection, the Ford tech completely forgot to install the driver side pinch bolt that holds the bottom of the strut to the wheel hub assembly. After new bolts were installed today (both sides) it appears the strut on the driver side is almost pushed in far enough but the passenger side looks too far out..1/4 to 3/8 of an inch too high. Shouldn’t the bottom of the strut sit flush on both sides with the moulded half moon bottom retainer of the wheel hub assembly?

I attached some pics and if anyone can confirm that mine are not installed correctly, it would be great to know before returning to the dealer.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
After closer inspection, the Ford tech completely forgot to install the driver side pinch bolt that holds the bottom of the strut
What the ??? That's a really bad mistake and could have ended very badly if the strut had come loose.

IIRC there's a piece of metal welded to the strut that bottoms out on the hub. That sets the depth they're inserted to.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Both look like they've not been bottomed out in the holes, if someone else did the job, I would take it back and ask them to make it good.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts