5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 08-18-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

2017 Escape rattles and fixes

Hi all,
I narrowed down all noises that bother me, either by finding these fixes here or elsewhere or myself.

So lets get started and if you have one you would like me to add to the begging of this thread just post it here or a link and I will add it to this list.

1. Under the seat heater ducts = add soft foam to the front and rear of each duct driver and passenger.

2. Center dash = add felt as shown in pictures (note my 2017 SE only shows a little of this issue most likely due to my titanium having 19" wheels, I still have to lower tire pressure by 2 or 4 lbs) see picture

3. Rear seat belt locks = add felt to the noise areas as seen in pictures, and to plates if needed that cause noise.

4. Rear seat protectors = fold down the seats and pull straight up on that protector with flaps, add felt to the metal facing the front of the vehicle (its real name might not be called this)

5. Stuff felt where needed under the outside of the window trim with plastic door removal tools or like.

6. Lube with white lithium spray grease (still looking for something better) the tiny whole in the front corner of the door that rattles, see pictures and 2nd post on this.

7. Add felt to the Panorama Roof see link for info 3rd post down.

Here is reference info on these fixes

Door panel removal info

Noise from passenger side rear seat/door area

Rattling Noise Around the Panorama Roof..Help!

Tools and parts

This is the felt I used

Door panel removal kit and other uses not to damage stuff
TBM2013 and focker like this.

South East MA.
Personal Vehicle
2017 Ford Escape Titanium AWD, Built 4/16
White Platinum Met Tri-Coat, 2.0 EcoBoost, 301A Technology Pkg. Adaptive Cruise Control Pkg., Panoramic Vista Roof, Navigation System, 19" Mach Alum Lus Nic PTD, Class II Trailer Tow Prep, Roof-Rail Crossbars, Blk.
Work vehicle / supplied by job
2017 Ford Escape SE FWD
White, with tech 201A Pkg., 1.5 Ecoboost, Aftermarket dealer installed remote start

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-18-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

On my door noise issue, well at first I thought it was coming from inside, then I traced it down to the door, I disassembled the passengers door, and when I removed the side mirror noise was gone, put side mirror back and noise came back.
I broke a clip also "Pull Up Rear of Switch Panel" picture of the door panel removal info, pull rear and slide back, the front clip is broke, not a big deal at all, as one will only notice it one pulls the front up.

I could duplicate the noise by hitting the door with palm of my hand inside on the metal near the upper door hinge.
If I squeeze where you see the seam in the door (looks like a crack in the picture) and hit that same spot with palm no noise. My drivers door does not have this but that seam is there in the picture posted, last one.

I found it is either a welding issue (no way am I letting anyone weld it) or not crimped properly but so far lithium grease solved it, I don't know how long, I was thinking JB WELD but not sure I can get enough in that tiny hole and area, and no holes inside the door to access that at all ( at least that I can remember)
I also notice in my pictures shows then as cracks not seen with my bad eyes or glasses so......

South East MA.
Personal Vehicle
White Platinum Met Tri-Coat, 2.0 EcoBoost, 301A Technology Pkg. Adaptive Cruise Control Pkg., Panoramic Vista Roof, Navigation System, 19" Mach Alum Lus Nic PTD, Class II Trailer Tow Prep, Roof-Rail Crossbars, Blk.
2017 Ford Escape SE FWD
White, with tech 201A Pkg., 1.5 Ecoboost, Aftermarket dealer installed remote start

post #3 of 29 Old 08-19-2016, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

2017 Escape rattles and fixes

here is another picture on details

South East MA.
Personal Vehicle
2017 Ford Escape SE FWD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 08-19-2016, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info. I've never really tried to pay attention to see if any of these noises exist in my '17 FE but now I'm going to have to. I've had noises bother me but mostly it was something in my center console storage area that was just rattling around.

I'll subscribe to this thread to refer back to once I find these noises if I hear them.

2017 Escape Titanium 2.0L 4WD - Ingot Silver
Navigation
Panoramic Vista Roof
Class II Trailer Tow Prep
Build Date: May 2016
post #5 of 29 Old 08-21-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Some more pictures and I added some sound deadening material that I had purchased and never used for my last vehicle. I put the material under the plastic barriers or ?? whatever they are called under the vehicle on both sides as seen in pictures and added 2 pieces of felt from a maybe rattle.

Added more felt to the top center piece as pictured.

I also found some more noises in the door hinges, just spray with white lithium grease and all set.

I found some maybe rust, though I did not look them through the window, if it is what is that from? maybe the sprinklers when off during my build?

Also noticed the plastic on the bottom of the doors, some rattle, I stuffed a sheet of rubbery material in-between.

I am starting to think most of these noises would have gone away by just driving in dusty environments so dirt would get caught and stop the noises.

Anyway I do think the sound material made road noise quieter, and my FE is nearly dead silent now, even over the harshest roads.

Of course I am just being OCD on this anyway. I did notice some good sounds coming from the panoramic roof area, most likely expected, lots of moving stuff in there, when driving over the harsh stuff that we never usually do anyway.

No I never did this to any other vehicle I owned, those had lots of road noise so why bother.

I actually enjoy this, don't know why. Hopefully this helps others.

parts

Sound deadening material

South East MA.
Personal Vehicle
2017 Ford Escape SE FWD

post #6 of 29 Old 08-22-2016, 02:08 AM

Garage
Mine doesn't do any of that thankfully. It does, however, have one issue. When I have the windows down the wind sometimes hits the center seatbelt shoulder strap and it rapidly vibrates against the seat. I 'fix' it by keeping that belt buckled.

2017 Escape Titanium 2.0L 4WD - White Platinum
post #7 of 29 Old 08-22-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
Mine doesn't do any of that thankfully. It does, however, have one issue. When I have the windows down the wind sometimes hits the center seatbelt shoulder strap and it rapidly vibrates against the seat. I 'fix' it by keeping that belt buckled.

Likewise.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-27-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

This is last of my fixes for noises, after this the only noise now is window wind noise that we all are hearing (meaning extremely low, nothing wrong or to fix).

I did my cross state trip this morning and my wife slept both ways to and from 2 hours each, that is how quiet this vehicle is now!
When I rub my finger on the steering wheel (center) I can hear that (at highway speeds), that is how quiet this is, no other rattles or paperclip sounds bother me if I hear any at all.

I think these pictures complete what I did
One last thing I did last night the passenger rear light was making a noise when taped on, I stuffed sticky felt between it and the body of the vehicle using the large plastic door panel tool (link posted in the first post for tools), solved.

I forgot the big one, put silicone on every bottom and side of all the black plastic after using the large plastic door panel tool to pry apart a space to actually get some silicone in-between, when tapped on that makes noise. (Please do not pry to much, just enough.)

South East MA.
Personal Vehicle
2017 Ford Escape SE FWD

post #9 of 29 Old 08-27-2016, 09:27 PM

Wow... just browsed this thread in its entirety and I've got to hand it to ya, dfran1. Ford should hire you as a squeak-and-rattle engineer!
dfran1 likes this.

2015 S, Magnetic Metallic
2.5L Duratec
No options except 50 state emissions--Equipment Group 100A
Invoice: 8/29/14
Built: 9/8/14
Released: 9/9/14
Bought: 10/9/14
16 Quality Issues
post #10 of 29 Old 09-30-2016, 06:00 PM

Garage
Finally did the center console with the felt - worked like a charm. What's funny is that I had asked the dealership to fix it, and they added foam tape in all kinds of weird places that actually prevented the grille from fitting properly to the panel -- resulting in MORE rattles and squeaks! I removed all that stuff and used felt where you show instead.

The only problem is that one of the front metal clips on the "hood" piece detached and fell into the dash somewhere. I couldn't find it or retrieve it, so now I have to try and figure out where to order another one. Luckily, I don't hear it rattling around in there, or I would be really mad!

Where did you put the sound deadener material under the vehicle? I'm having trouble locating that spot....

2017 Escape Titanium 2.0L AWD - Ingot Silver
301A Technology Pkg.
Adaptive Cruise Control
Panoramic Vista Roof
Navigation System

Help us help you - what is your year, engine, drivetrain, trim and SYNC version?

Tags
creek , noise , rattles

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page