2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV
70 Posts
However Ford gets it fixed is what matters. Surprises me that this current design made it all the way through testing to production with such an obvious flaw. The noise made by the shutters at 65 to 80mph is loud enough to be heard alongside the vehicle, and felt in the body structure.

Bugs the crap out of me, and if this was a vehicle I actually paid for (it's a company provided vehicle) I'd be at the dealer weekly to get it fixed. That, or replace the vehicle. My 2018 Escape also has shutters and has never made one bit of noise at any speed (which has been over 90mph a few times).
The dealer refuses to fix mine after waiting 4 weeks for my appointment. The build date of my vehicle is within the narrow window of the TSB. It happened very often at speeds of 75+ mph especially with cross winds on a 3500 mile trip I just took cross country.

It sounded like a rapid tapping noise like a stuck valve lifter but would come and go with the wind gusts.

The dealer said if the technician can’t reproduce the sound they will not put in the revised air ducts.

The tech apparently only drove the car 5 miles total ( my ford app tracks all trips) and couldn’t have been up to 75 in that short distance on the freeway which has a 60 mph speed limit. I complained but the dealer wouldn’t budge. They also will not accept a video and sound recording from my iPhone of the noise and hood flutter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since the dealer is not supporting Ford's initiative to correct the issue, the next step is to go past the dealer. The dealer is a contracted representative for Ford, but as such the dealer does not make final product decisions for Ford. I'd ask the dealer for the contact information for the Ford Dealer Support manager assigned to your region. Since your vehicle, like mine, is in the build range known to have the issue, it is not for the dealer to decide whether or not the repairs are applied. If the dealer refuses to forward the contact information to you, then the next step if the Better Business Bureau, and to contact Ford Corporate to file a complaint against the dealer. Dealer ratings affect their support from Ford as well.

I'd also offer to take the dealer Service Manager for a drive in your vehicle with you driving. If he again refuses, then the next step is the Operations Manager at the dealership. If no success then it goes to the dealership owners. If no success with them, then let them know the issue will be taken to Ford Corporate directly. The issue is already on file with the NTHSA and Ford has TSB communications for the dealers directly related to this issue. Since it is a Ford issue the dealer should be able to make the service claim back against Ford to recoup the service hours cost.

And as always, there are other Ford dealers out there. Pick one that likes to support their product and customers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The noise on my 21 Escape starts almost exactly at 70 mph and higher. I suspect the shutters are never closing too, as anytime I have checked them they've been open, even after the car has cooled down and sat in the shade for days. The noise is loud, flapping type, like a loose panel is vibrating against a firm panel. I removed the under engine cover thinking it was the noise source, nope, no better. I zip-tied some other panels underneath thinking they were the noise source, nope. Thought it was the hod prop rod vibrating when the hood was down, nope. Thought it was the rear edge of the hood itself vibrating (which it does), but nope, no noise change. Then I found reports on the net about the shutter system issues and I feel it is the source and Ford should resolve regardless of the build date. My Escape was built in August 21, but not delivered to me until the end of October 21. So it is in the build date range of the known issue.

·
Registered
2021 Titanium Hybrid
68 Posts
I don't understand why a dealer wouldn't perform the TSB or at least try to get it done - Ford pays them to repair the cars under warranty, so it's work. Unless they're so busy they don't want to do warranty work (it pays a little less). In any event, find a new dealer.

I'm also happy to report that in addition to fixing the noise and stopping the hood flutter, my highway mileage seems to be 1-2 mpg higher. Of course, that might just be the warmer weather...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm also happy to report that in addition to fixing the noise and stopping the hood flutter, my highway mileage seems to be 1-2 mpg higher. Of course, that might just be the warmer weather...
It's possible. One guy added a cover over his lower grill to get engine temps up to optimal and added about that in improved mileage.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't understand why a dealer wouldn't perform the TSB or at least try to get it done - Ford pays them to repair the cars under warranty, so it's work. Unless they're so busy they don't want to do warranty work (it pays a little less). In any event, find a new dealer.
Have you been to a dealer the past several years? Even pre-pandemic, many had weeks-long backups at the service department.

One wanted me to wait weeks for a "QuickLane" appointment for a simple oil change.

Many have more business than they can handle, so yeah, they're not interested in low paying warranty work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Its a sign of the times that the "Quick Lane" is only quick when you have it scheduled out weeks in advance. Wednesday i went to the dealer Quick Lane for an oil change. Best they can do is get me in next week Friday for the oil change. Maybe its the same staffing issue that it seems every other business suffers from.

If the dealership is too busy to handle warranty work, he should tell the customer the dealership is to busy to handle the work right away, but not turn the customer away. For the service manager to refuse work on a vehicle in warranty, to resolve a known TSB issue just says that service manager doesn't want to deal with it. In other words HE is the problem, and that should be taken up the ladder within the dealership to the general manager or owner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The shutters are not replaced to fix the problem. It’s the two molded plastic ducts that direct air from the upper and lower grille openings to the upper and lower shutters that cause the racket.
I’m going to make an appointment next week with my local dealer relative to this issue. I called them and my vehicle is not included in the tsb . So obviously Ford has more vehicles with this problem than the existing tsb. Wish me luck

·
Registered
2021 Titanium Hybrid
68 Posts
I’m going to make an appointment next week with my local dealer relative to this issue. I called them and my vehicle is not included in the tsb . So obviously Ford has more vehicles with this problem than the existing tsb. Wish me luck
Mine was (slightly) out of TSB range, but they fixed it and the problem went away.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The dealer refuses to fix mine after waiting 4 weeks for my appointment. The build date of my vehicle is within the narrow window of the TSB. It happened very often at speeds of 75+ mph especially with cross winds on a 3500 mile trip I just took cross country.

It sounded like a rapid tapping noise like a stuck valve lifter but would come and go with the wind gusts.

The dealer said if the technician can’t reproduce the sound they will not put in the revised air ducts.

The tech apparently only drove the car 5 miles total ( my ford app tracks all trips) and couldn’t have been up to 75 in that short distance on the freeway which has a 60 mph speed limit. I complained but the dealer wouldn’t budge. They also will not accept a video and sound recording from my iPhone of the noise and hood flutter.
Update: I called another dealer. This dealer identified the TSB over the phone based on my description of the noise without me at all prompting the service tech with the TSB number.

They then ordered the new parts immediately and called me a few days later when the parts arrived to schedule the installation. The parts are now installed and the problem has gone away completely. No hood flutter or shake, and no flapping or rattling noise at speeds over 70 mph.

I‘m very happy with the new dealer response compared to the complete lack of support from the privious dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have to battle with your dealership and/or service department. Many owners have this very same issue including me. Tell them the “Active Grille Shutter System” needs replacement. It’s a common problem with 2021 Ford Escapes. Call the Ford Customer Care Service Center. There is a Technical Service Bulletin titled TSB-SSM50168 which covers this issue of a Flutter at hiway speeds. What gets me is that Ford appears to be aware of this issue but it doesn’t seem like they are getting the word out to every dealership/service department. It was like pulling teeth for me to get this looked into. In fact after 9 months of trying to get my dealership to look into this, including me showing them the TSB after much research by me!, I ended up going to a different dealership who luckily had one previous owner who had this issue and they knew exactly that it was the AGSS. They tested and confirmed the AGSS needed replacement. Ford NEEDS to spread the word!

·
Registered
38 Posts
The shutters are not replaced to fix the problem. It’s the two molded plastic ducts that direct air from the upper and lower grille openings to the upper and lower shutters that cause the racket.
I'd like to see the difference between the old and new parts. I suspect it's just a change in air flow. I wonder of the upgrade can be done through the use of creative cutting/drilling, or if it really needs to be the correct parts.

·
Registered
2021 Titanium Hybrid
68 Posts
I'd like to see the difference between the old and new parts. I suspect it's just a change in air flow. I wonder of the upgrade can be done through the use of creative cutting/drilling, or if it really needs to be the correct parts.
There was probably a running change to the ducts by a supplier and nobody realized the problem until thousands of vehicles had shipped. Maybe they used a new mold and and missed a piece that added or removed some turbulence. It doesn't take much to change airflow significantly at highway speeds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I carefully looked at the old ducts before they were replaced and the new ducts now on the vehicle. I haven’t noticed any difference in shape.
The ducts do come very close to the moving vanes of the grille shutters.

I’m guessing that a batch of ducts from the supplier were warped out of spec. due to a temporarily out of control injection molding process. This may have created an interference with the moving shutter vanes causing them to become stuck open when they should be closed while the vehicle is at speed.

This would explain the hood vibration at high speeds caused by unexpected large volumes of air flowing into the relatively sealed engine bay. The ram air pressure would create a variable upward force on the hood and it would play havoc with the plastic close out under the engine bay causing flapping noises.
This would also explain why some have noticed an improvement in gas mileage after the repair. Open grille shutters over about 40 mph will create more air turbulence at the nose of the vehicle and reduce aerodynamic efficiency.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts