2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

241 - 252 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi gang,

If I lift my Escape 2014 SE 2.0 by 1 inch, front and rear, do you think I can put 235/65r17 tires on it without consequences? I saw some people talked about the 225/65r17 without lifting but I have another Escape 2011 XLT and I wish to get the same size of tires.

Tkx,
Yanick

Check out the all terrain tires thread here. There are a lot of different size fitments listed. I can only tell you what I have fit on my own Escape, but there are others out there who have installed other sizes. Some of my research is towards the later pages of the thread. I will say P235/65R17 will be 2" wider than stock. I am 1" wider than stock. Things are tight for me, but no rubbing. I would love even larger tires next time around and the P235?65R17 tires size will open up 8 or 9 really good all terrain tire choices, many of which are not available in the P235/60R17 size. Like I said, please do the research of other posters there and let us know how things work out on your Escape if you proceed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
@Tony Tony Any updates on your Tema lift kit install? You've probably been busy tearing up the pavement, enjoying your lift with a little more clearance! think it may be the most readily available lift kit that people can afford. If the seller gets a lot of sold for the Escape, I'm sure they will sure to keep them in stock, maybe even sell all the parts as a package for convenience. Please keep us posted and it would be nice if you can get a few pictures of your Escape when you are done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@needliftnow:

I proceeded finally with the spacers 30mm from Tema but I got surprises. The front is OK but the rear is 1 inch more than expected. So the rear is ~2.2 inches higher than the front. :-(

I’m in a discussion right now with Tema to find a solution.

For the tires, I think the 235/70R16 are too big for the space available. I think that with your 235/60R17 you really got the maximum possible for the version of the Ford Escape and like you said, it is really tight.

Originally I wanted more clearance to clear the rocks in the woods and more wall to get a smoother ride but it looks hard to do with the new Escape. Also I’m scared to reduce too much the space around the front tires because if a branch jammed it can cause damage.

Question for you: The guy from Tema told me that 30mm was the maximum without mods for the Ford Escape. To fit your 2 inches in the front, did you do other modifications? Do you think that I can add a second 15mm spacer on the front to solve my angle problem?

Yanick

·
Registered
425 Posts
@needliftnow :

I proceeded finally with the spacers 30mm from Tema but I got surprises. The front is OK but the rear is 1 inch more than expected. So the rear is ~2.2 inches higher than the front. :-(

For the tires, I think the 235/70R16 are too big for the space available. I think that with your 235/60R17 you really got the maximum possible for the version of the Ford Escape and like you said, it is really tight.

Originally I wanted more clearance to clear the rocks in the woods and more wall to get a smoother ride but it looks hard to do with the new Escape. Also I’m scared to reduce too much the space around the front tires because if a branch jammed it can cause damage.

Question for you: The guy from Tema told me that 30mm was the maximum without mods for the Ford Escape. To fit your 2 inches in the front, did you do other modifications? Do you think that I can add a second 15mm spacer on the front to solve my angle problem?

Yanick

Thanks for the update and I am glad to see you are making progress.

Strange Tema sent you 2" spacers for the rear. Those are fairly easy to swap out for smaller ones compared to a front strut spacer, where the whole strut comes out. Honestly, I think my rear "puck" spacers are from a Jeep. Phat Matt's had to cut shape them to fit perfectly, but the overall diameter is critical to fit the spring. I just don't know what model and year Jeep he used. If Tema can't come through, you might want contact Phat Matt's and ask them. I understand what you mean about the front to rear rake being rather "obtuse" right now with 2" spacers in the rear. Phat Matt's warned me that if I would have gone as big as you did, that there is a chance the puck could come out of the "bowl" below the spring when roughing it on a bad road or even a pot hole, so I went with their input. If I were you, I'd get those 2" rear spacers pulled and put in a smaller 1" or 1.25" ones to avoid trouble. Although I did not by from Tema, they did have good and fairly quick customer service. They should be able to find you the correct ear spacers. I know I shared a picture in the past of the items he suggested I get at the time. You're selections were a little different.

Oh, and the front spacers, if they are aluminum or steel, you can ask a proper mechanic to see if they could weld the pieces together for you. Just remember though, my 2" spacers were designed with vertical riser plates between the top and bottom plates, thereby allowing my to mount the spacer to the strut and then just shove the whole thing in at once. You will not be able to do that with the welded cype as they don't have a gap between the top and bottom plates like mine. You can get some extended length bolts and you will have to hold the spacers to the top of the strut going in and keep them in place to line up while you need the bolts through the strut tower under the hood. You may have had to do it like that with your singular spacers actually, but having a double stack does make lining it up much more difficult as the height of the strut assembly is already a tight fit even with my spacer pre-mounted to the strut. It's not like we replace out struts and shocks all the time...but whoever does it in the future if you weld two together will be in for a bit of a surprise! Just stacking them together could cause unexpected vibration and unknown mechanical problems. My fear would be that the bolts would try to back out holding the strut in place. Again, it would be best to get smaller ones in the rear. You've seen my rig and there is general uniformity around the front and rear tires in their wheelwells...nothing looks too "gapped". It actually looks like the Escape came from the factory that way.

Your larger tires depiction is basically what I think too. We really are limited and a lot of manufacturers are doing the YUGE rims, low profile, high-performance tires and super tight wheelwells. Believe me, I am tempted to go one up on size to a P235/65R17 from my current P235/60R17 tires as there are some really good selection of all terrain tires at that size...but in reality, I might rub. Even if I don't, the reduces tire to wheelwell clearance will cause issues clearing out snow, or hardened ice will rub and wear the tires. Like you said, we are limited. It really sucks.

Please keep us posted. You will get it right. Go with your gut. Phat Matt's had to design, cut and test template front spacers before making and installing the ones I have now. There is a learning curve for sure! I do think you will be most happy with the 1" or so lift you got in the front, a reduced 1" rear lift and some P235/60R17 tires. You are still going from 6" clearance to about 7.75"...not much, but it does make the Escape much more versatile.

·
Registered
425 Posts
@needliftnow :

Yanick

Thanks for the update and I am glad to see you are making progress.
Strange Tema sent you 2" spacers for the rear. Those are fairly easy to swap out for smaller ones compared to a front strut spacer, where the whole strut comes out. Honestly, I think my rear "puck" spacers are from a Jeep. Phat Matt's had to cut shape them to fit perfectly, but the overall diameter is critical to fit the spring. I just don't know what model and year Jeep he used. If Tema can't come through, you might want contact Phat Matt's and ask them. I understand what you mean about the front to rear rake being rather "obtuse" right now with 2" spacers in the rear. Phat Matt's warned me that if I would have gone as big as you did, that there is a chance the puck could come out of the "bowl" below the spring when roughing it on a bad road or even a pot hole, so I went with their input. If I were you, I'd get those 2" rear spacers pulled and put in a smaller 1" or 1.25" ones to avoid trouble. Although I did not by from Tema, they did have good and fairly quick customer service. They should be able to find you the correct ear spacers. I know I shared a picture in the past of the items he suggested I get at the time. You're selections were a little different.

Oh, and the front spacers, if they are aluminum or steel, you can ask a proper mechanic to see if they could weld the pieces together for you. Just remember though, my 2" spacers were designed with vertical riser plates between the top and bottom plates, thereby allowing my to mount the spacer to the strut and then just shove the whole thing in at once. You will not be able to do that with the welded cype as they don't have a gap between the top and bottom plates like mine. You can get some extended length bolts and you will have to hold the spacers to the top of the strut going in and keep them in place to line up while you need the bolts through the strut tower under the hood. You may have had to do it like that with your singular spacers actually, but having a double stack does make lining it up much more difficult as the height of the strut assembly is already a tight fit even with my spacer pre-mounted to the strut. It's not like we replace out struts and shocks all the time...but whoever does it in the future if you weld two together will be in for a bit of a surprise! Just stacking them together could cause unexpected vibration and unknown mechanical problems. My fear would be that the bolts would try to back out holding the strut in place. Again, it would be best to get smaller ones in the rear. You've seen my rig and there is general uniformity around the front and rear tires in their wheelwells...nothing looks too "gapped". It actually looks like the Escape came from the factory that way.

Your larger tires depiction is basically what I think too. We really are limited and a lot of manufacturers are doing the YUGE rims, low profile, high-performance tires and super tight wheelwells. Believe me, I am tempted to go one up on size to a P235/65R17 from my current P235/60R17 tires as there are some really good selection of all terrain tires at that size...but in reality, I might rub. Even if I don't, the reduces tire to wheelwell clearance will cause issues clearing out snow, or hardened ice will rub and wear the tires. Like you said, we are limited. It really sucks.

Please keep us posted. You will get it right. Go with your gut. Phat Matt's had to design, cut and test template front spacers before making and installing the ones I have now. There is a learning curve for sure! I do think you will be most happy with the 1" or so lift you got in the front, a reduced 1" rear lift and some P235/60R17 tires. You are still going from 6" clearance to about 7.75"...not much, but it does make the Escape much more versatile.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all back again, my suspension is tore up, funny how Ineedliftnow is near my neck of the woods.
Granted my 2014 has 86k miles, ate some suspension parts and sounds like bushings and sway bar links are in order.
About 35k miles mixed on my BFG KO2's. Loud and once I know more might have ate a bearing. Have had my stearing box break while under extended warranty, smashed a deer, and a few other shop visits.
Now that the warranty is up though, might have to give a call down to Augusta.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was able to run a nice aggressive tire with no running. As well as the roof rack and the front bar, I'm very happy... Just want a little more clearance. Here's mine.
Hi, I was wondering what push bar you used. I can't find any for it online. Love how it looks, want to do the same thing to mine.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I put on 235/65/17 Sailun terramax A/T with no lift kit and there is no rubbing. It's tight but it's all good. I think I will be putting a lift on it eventually.
It is nice to see that at least one set of P235/65R17 tires fit the Escape. They look good and you will appreciate the smoother ride and much increased traction the larger all terrain tires offer. They do look like they eat the whole wheelwell up though! Keep an eye on possible rub areas, like in the front when you turn and also pay attention to when you bottom out on a bad road or even bad pot holes. The front of the car is lower than the back, so that is where you may notice a "bottom out rub". I'm pretty sure I heard a small rub when the front bottomed out with the larger tires before I lifted. The lift increased the gap on top of the tires again, alleviating any concerns. Like I said keep an ear and an eye on things for a while and enjoy the nice, larger tires.

On a side note, the tires you installed I found at https://simpletire.com/sailun-terramax-a-t-4s-tires and at $138.97 a tire with shipping included (US), it is cheaper than a Cooper Discoverer AT3 currently at $166.00 a tire shipped. That being said I am unfamiliar with Sailun tires and the warranty they cover. I'm posting on the All Terrain Tires thread another Cooper tire I've found that is now available in the P235/60R17 size like I have that is more affordable and perhaps a little more pavement-friendly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm kicking this back up.

I'd like to level the front or get a tad of a lift. I am up north and deal with the snow etc. Also changing oil without ramps would be nice ;)

Facts to help us find some stuff.

The OLD gen aka 2012 Kuga is based off the C1 platform as well as the new kuga and escape. This could be good.

Lift:

Delta4x4 lift kit
body lift kit
"lift kit +30mm Ford Kuga
for front and rear
Distance blocks for spring and distance blocks for shock absorbers."
30mm
- Maybe this is just spacers?

Maybe that front skid plate too..... ;)

Spacer kits:

Spaccer - each spacer adds 12 mm, can use multiple. front and/or rear

SPACCER car lift kit / suspension lifting kits - lift your*Ford*Kuga
"Each SPACCER® will lift your car by 12 mm at any one wheel enabling lifts of 12/24/36/48 mm. You can lift the front axle, the rear axle, or front and rear axle of your vehicle."

Ebay spacers - say they fit the new E's
1.5" and 2.0" spacers

I just worry they haven't test fit them as they say, ford escape, mazda tribute and merc mariner 2001-2014.

I emailed delta4x4, see if I hear back. I'd like at minimum 1" higher on the front. Also that freaking bottom engine cover and air duct really takes away some height, but if you look without it on, the ac has a plug facing the ground, right there.. :/ I think an aftermarket with a small scoop in the rear (for turbo) could work....
I'm also looking at getting a level kit for my 2017 E but it seems like no one is carrying leveling kits

·
Registered
425 Posts
I found this kit. Talked with the seller and this is what my 17 takes. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113302341309
That's the TEMA retailer I mentioned earlier. It looks like they have assembled the parts in kit now instead of piecemeal...always a good thing so a buyer is aware of conformity. It does look like the rear lift is higher than the front though. That would be thee reverse of "levelizing" the rear to front rake though. Those smaller spacers that have the small center hole and one screw hole on each side, those are for the rear shock absorbers (install on the top of the shocks where the mount to the body). As I have found out with a 1.25" rear lift, they are completely unnecesary. With that larger rear lift from TEMA, you may need them to avoid hyper-extending shocks (if there is such a thing). Phat Matts may be working with a firm to eventually produce the front spacers I have with the 2" front lift and maybe even the modified rear spacers I had retrofitted for my Escape. It's a big project though so I will post more if I hear more. For now, if anyone is interested in a lift, I'd say to call him to find out more. I've had the lift fort over two years now and truly have had no problems, not even premature tire wear.

241 - 252 of 252 Posts