2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know with the F150's it didn't matter if you reset it. Yes you could, but the system would figure it out over time regardless. Also when you reset it with Forscan, you have to leave the vehicle with the doors locked, undisturbed for 8 consecutive hours after doing the procedure.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
226 Posts
Curious, Can you estimate the weight difference?

·
Registered
226 Posts
So almost double weight? I can't say I've had any issues as of yet, so I guess I'll stay stock for now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Reactions: Colorado_Al

·
Registered
226 Posts
Another question if I may, will having the bigger battery allow it to run in EV only mode for longer?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I know that, but I mean in the sense that the lights, radio and such run off of the 12v right? Could those things drain it to the point when the gas engine would have to come on to keep it charged or is there is voltage convertor to charge the 12 battery from the HV battery?

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
638 Posts
12v chassis systems are common across hybrid and turbo drivetrains. Hybrids charge the 12v battery using a DC-to-DC converter to step down HVB voltage. The ICE only charges the HVB. If the car is on, the gas engine will cycle on and off as need require.

The problem folks try to address by battery change is a voltage drain when the car is off. Their cars are broken. Ford needs to fix them so they work properly, like mine.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid
32 Posts
The lowest price I found on the Motorcraft AGM battery was carid.com, $156 + $10 shipping...

For the record, both Ford and Carid.com show this battery as a correct part for the 2020 Escape, and the fit is perfect/secure. I haven't had low battery or deep sleep issues since upgrading + I just like the idea of not having a flooded battery sloshing around in the back.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid
32 Posts
why are people buying replacement batteries on their 2020 vehicles? is that not covered under warranty?
They'll replace the small factory battery under warranty (and they did), but they wouldn't upgrade it to AGM. After several visits and weeks of trying, it was clear Ford and my dealership could not fix our reoccurring low battery/deep sleep issue. Unfortunately, the ABS module update did not fix it in our case. So, like others, I tried this as a last resort until they hopefully get it solved someday...

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid
32 Posts
The lowest price I found on the Motorcraft AGM battery was carid.com, $156 + $10 shipping...

For the record, both Ford and Carid.com show this battery as a correct part for the 2020 Escape, and the fit is perfect/secure. I haven't had low battery or deep sleep issues since upgrading + I just like the idea of not having a flooded battery sloshing around in the back.

View attachment 79366
I decided to test the AGM battery after four full days of the Escape sitting undriven (a few weeks after install). It was 100%, according to my Schumacher. With the OEM battery I'd get daily decline and diminishing returns on driving recharge. Sitting four days would've likely resulted in sub-50% and/or "deep sleep".

Unlike the flooded battery, AGM charges faster, lasts longer, and can be deep cycled + this battery has twice the RC.

Just like the subwoofer rattle, I was not happy about having to do this (and having to pay for it), but not having to waste my time, and battle with utterly inept Ford service was worth the price. The dealership had essentially waved the white flag saying they could find nothing wrong. Well, Ford using a tiny flooded "starting" battery as a modern hybrid aux battery was the problem on mine.

I may even be willing to use the 12v power point in the back when we go camping this weekend, instead of worrying if it's sleeping again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's a quick how to video that I made showing replacing the stock 12v 45AH lead acid battery with a 12v 70AH AGM battery.
Some folks have had issues with the stock 12v battery running down and not being able to unlock the vehicle, or start it by remote, or some to even start it at all, as it is needed to engage the relays for the high voltage battery. Some also get the "Deep Sleep" message in the FordPass app that indicates a low battery voltage for the 12v battery.
Adding a larger AGM battery helps to prevent these issues.
Besides topping up the AGM battery prior to install, it took about 20 minutes.

Edit - The 12 volt battery is under the floor in the rear cargo area. In the Titanium hybrid, the spare tire covers it, so remove the spare tire to see it. In the SE hybrid, there is no spare tire, so you'll see it once you lift up the floor of the rear cargo area. - Edit

Here is the battery that I used because I found one for $125! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FWCLHU
But any Group 48 AGM 12 volt battery will work.

Edit 2 - Thanks to a tip, I checked with the Ford service department and they said they do need to update the programming for an AGM battery. - Edit 2

Edit 3 - If you want to keep it all Ford, or have the dealer do it, here is the Ford battery:
Part #: BAGM48H6760 (48H6)
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/battery-and-related-components/battery-7862483-1 - Edit 3

How many am hours is the ford battery? The link page doesnt say that I can find.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
How many am hours is the ford battery? The link page doesnt say that I can find.
The stock lead acid battery is 45ah, however it self discharges to below 10v quite rapidly. The AGM battery is 70ah and also retains charge for much longer when inactive due to its superior construction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I decided to test the AGM battery after four full days of the Escape sitting undriven (a few weeks after install). It was 100%, according to my Schumacher. With the OEM battery I'd get daily decline and diminishing returns on driving recharge. Sitting four days would've likely resulted in sub-50% and/or "deep sleep".

Unlike the flooded battery, AGM charges faster, lasts longer, and can be deep cycled + this battery has twice the RC.

Just like the subwoofer rattle, I was not happy about having to do this (and having to pay for it), but not having to waste my time, and battle with utterly inept Ford service was worth the price. The dealership had essentially waved the white flag saying they could find nothing wrong. Well, Ford using a tiny flooded "starting" battery as a modern hybrid aux battery was the problem on mine.

I may even be willing to use the 12v power point in the back when we go camping this weekend, instead of worrying if it's sleeping again.
I read all your posts and sent a few to my service guy at my Ford dealership, and he said they did replace that 12 volt battery, under warranty, but can't upgrade it under warranty and I would have to pay for that. He also said they never did the SSM 49574 update because my build date on my vehicle was out of the build date range (this seems like a no brainier to do regardless, since I have had my 2020 escape in for this reason at least half a dozen times, why wouldn't they just do it for shucks and grins!) Now he is telling me to bring my vehicle back in so they can perform that SSM 49574 update. I am so beyond frustrated. The "System off to save battery" message comes up every single day and is now worth it to me to just pay the Ford dealership and have the larger AGM installed. I agree with the other posts, that FORD should fix this or not make me pay for the larger AGM, but I'm tried of taking my Escape in and having to leave it overnight for "battery draws" and then have them tell me the voltage is good and they can't verify the concern, which is laughable and makes me question the competence of their Ford Certified Mechanics, since the error message comes up each time the door is opened now. I'm also aggravated that I have now stumbled upon these blogs and your answers/suggestions, you can't tell me Ford Engineers don't see this stuff too, so for them to say the "We can't verify the concern" or the old stand by of "The car isn't throwing any codes" really infuriates me. I hate that I have to pay the dealership to upgrade this for me (since I really can' t do this on my own) Can you verify for me if the dealership will need to do some kind of update it after they upgrade it?

21 - 40 of 69 Posts