2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I read all your posts and sent a few to my service guy at my Ford dealership, and he said they did replace that 12 volt battery, under warranty, but can't upgrade it under warranty and I would have to pay for that. He also said they never did the SSM 49574 update because my build date on my vehicle was out of the build date range (this seems like a no brainier to do regardless, since I have had my 2020 escape in for this reason at least half a dozen times, why wouldn't they just do it for shucks and grins!) Now he is telling me to bring my vehicle back in so they can perform that SSM 49574 update. I am so beyond frustrated. The "System off to save battery" message comes up every single day and is now worth it to me to just pay the Ford dealership and have the larger AGM installed. I agree with the other posts, that FORD should fix this or not make me pay for the larger AGM, but I'm tried of taking my Escape in and having to leave it overnight for "battery draws" and then have them tell me the voltage is good and they can't verify the concern, which is laughable and makes me question the competence of their Ford Certified Mechanics, since the error message comes up each time the door is opened now. I'm also aggravated that I have now stumbled upon these blogs and your answers/suggestions, you can't tell me Ford Engineers don't see this stuff too, so for them to say the "We can't verify the concern" or the old stand by of "The car isn't throwing any codes" really infuriates me. I hate that I have to pay the dealership to upgrade this for me (since I really can' t do this on my own) Can you verify for me if the dealership will need to do some kind of update it after they upgrade it?
They will have to update the BMS (Battery Management System) with the info on the new battery. I would talk with them and see if they will warranty the labor, if you pay for the better AGM battery. It will not take them any more time to install the AGM battery than it would to install another crappy lead acid battery, and their parts department will make some money off the sale of the AGM battery. It is worth the cost to have it fixed even if Ford will not pay for it. You could also have it done at a non-ford location like any good battery service shop, and then talk to the ford service manager and ask them to reset the BMS for no charge since they could not fix your problem.
Good luck with it and let us know if it resolves your problem. It has fixed my issue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I read all your posts and sent a few to my service guy at my Ford dealership, and he said they did replace that 12 volt battery, under warranty, but can't upgrade it under warranty and I would have to pay for that. He also said they never did the SSM 49574 update because my build date on my vehicle was out of the build date range (this seems like a no brainier to do regardless, since I have had my 2020 escape in for this reason at least half a dozen times, why wouldn't they just do it for shucks and grins!) Now he is telling me to bring my vehicle back in so they can perform that SSM 49574 update. I am so beyond frustrated. The "System off to save battery" message comes up every single day and is now worth it to me to just pay the Ford dealership and have the larger AGM installed. I agree with the other posts, that FORD should fix this or not make me pay for the larger AGM, but I'm tried of taking my Escape in and having to leave it overnight for "battery draws" and then have them tell me the voltage is good and they can't verify the concern, which is laughable and makes me question the competence of their Ford Certified Mechanics, since the error message comes up each time the door is opened now. I'm also aggravated that I have now stumbled upon these blogs and your answers/suggestions, you can't tell me Ford Engineers don't see this stuff too, so for them to say the "We can't verify the concern" or the old stand by of "The car isn't throwing any codes" really infuriates me. I hate that I have to pay the dealership to upgrade this for me (since I really can' t do this on my own) Can you verify for me if the dealership will need to do some kind of update it after they upgrade it?
Your BMS (Battery Monitoring System) can be set to "AGM (Sealed Lead Acid) 70Ah 600CCA H6 Case" 12V battery charging setting by Ford dealer, or any trustworthy mechanic or garage with FORSCan software scanner tool.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape SE Sport AWD Hybrid Magnetic Metallic 2.5L I-VCT ATK I-4 HYB ENG Build Dt 11/2020
4 Posts
Your BMS (Battery Monitoring System) can be set to "AGM (Sealed Lead Acid) 70Ah 600CCA H6 Case" 12V battery charging setting by Ford dealer, or any trustworthy mechanic or garage with FORSCan software scanner tool.
I'm going to get Forscan software soon, and I approve this message ! Thanks for that info!

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE, Oxford White
21 Posts
@Sherri, you didn't indicate what Model your Escape is. Which ever it is, I would pay the extra $$ and have it upgraded to the AGM battery, especially if you have a Hybrid. I don't know what Ford's policy is or even if they have one, but in the case of late production build's it's pretty much anything goes. My 2020 stock 1.5 three cylinder, bought off the lot on 5/5/21 had a build date of 12/14/20. Last day of production for the 2020's was 12/18/20. I have the AGM battery, the 2021 center console, the alloy spare and the 2021 lack of badging, the cargo cover (and both cargo lights) but no engine cover. (none of this appeared on the Window Sticker). Ford Engineering had nothing to do with this. It was what they had on hand at Louisville when my unit was produced. Probably the Bean Counters won the day over Engineering with a coulda woulda shoulda Memo on the Battery. Who knows. And yes, I hate when Dealer's resort to the "it's within spec's" nonsense. What a cop out. Hopefully you have resolved this by now.

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV Bronze Fire
73 Posts
Here's a quick how to video that I made showing replacing the stock 12v 45AH lead acid battery with a 12v 70AH AGM battery.
Some folks have had issues with the stock 12v battery running down and not being able to unlock the vehicle, or start it by remote, or some to even start it at all, as it is needed to engage the relays for the high voltage battery. Some also get the "Deep Sleep" message in the FordPass app that indicates a low battery voltage for the 12v battery.
Adding a larger AGM battery helps to prevent these issues.
Besides topping up the AGM battery prior to install, it took about 20 minutes.

Edit - The 12 volt battery is under the floor in the rear cargo area. In the Titanium hybrid, the spare tire covers it, so remove the spare tire to see it. In the SE hybrid, there is no spare tire, so you'll see it once you lift up the floor of the rear cargo area. - Edit

Here is the battery that I used because I found one for $125! Amazon.com: ACDelco Gold 48AGM 36 Month Warranty AGM BCI Group 48 Battery: Automotive
But any Group 48 AGM 12 volt battery will work.

Edit 2 - Thanks to a tip, I checked with the Ford service department and they said they do need to update the programming for an AGM battery. - Edit 2

Edit 3 - If you want to keep it all Ford, or have the dealer do it, here is the Ford battery:
Part #: BAGM48H6760 (48H6)
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/battery-and-related-components/battery-7862483-1 - Edit 3

I see in the 2021 Escape the owners manual on page 395 it shows they now call for the larger AGM battery part # BAGM48H6760 (48H6). I have not looked at one at the dealer but if this is true and the book shows that it is, then I would think if folks are still having trouble with Deep Sleep Mode, maybe you can get Ford to upgrade your battery. For some reason they made a change it would appear from 2020 to 2021 to the larger AGM battery. A wise idea Ford, they must have been getting service calls or they have been reading this forum.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I see in the 2021 Escape the owners manual on page 395 it shows they now call for the larger AGM battery part # BAGM48H6760 (48H6). I have not looked at one at the dealer but if this is true and the book shows that it is, then I would think if folks are still having trouble with Deep Sleep Mode, maybe you can get Ford to upgrade your battery. For some reason they made a change it would appear from 2020 to 2021 to the larger AGM battery. A wise idea Ford, they must have been getting service calls or they have been reading this forum.
2021 Hybrid? The ICE only engines all come with the group 48 AGM

·
Registered
3 Posts
The lowest price I found on the Motorcraft AGM battery was carid.com, $156 + $10 shipping...

For the record, both Ford and Carid.com show this battery as a correct part for the 2020 Escape, and the fit is perfect/secure. I haven't had low battery or deep sleep issues since upgrading + I just like the idea of not having a flooded battery sloshing around in the back.

View attachment 79366
Colorado Al, thanks for all the great information. Curious to know if anyone has ever replaced with or done research as to a lithium replacement vice the AGM?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Colorado Al, thanks for all the great information. Curious to know if anyone has ever replaced with or done research as to a lithium replacement vice the AGM?
Problem is that Li batteries need a different charging profile and voltages and also can be damaged if charged below freezing. Most will need a heating system, if you're in a colder part of the world. If the internal BMS shuts off due to exceeding paramaters, you'd have worse problems than a dead lead acid battery. Add to that the high price, and I don't think it's really something that most would take on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Problem is that Li batteries need a different charging profile and voltages and also can be damaged if charged below freezing. Most will need a heating system, if you're in a colder part of the world. If the internal BMS shuts off due to exceeding paramaters, you'd have worse problems than a dead lead acid battery. Add to that the high price, and I don't think it's really something that most would take on.
Thank you. Wil begin my search today for a replacement AGM battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2020 Titanium Hybrid with the 12 volt battery problem. You are correct that the AGM battery is now the OEM battery for the 2021, but not for the 2020. I have taken my escape to the dealer 6 times now because my 12 volt battery has to be jumped. They replaced the battery once, they did all the updates and SSM. They also did the parasitic draw test which was good. I bought this brand new in April 2021. I did open a case with Ford for buy back and they denied it. So now I am sending them a letter for final repair opportunity via the Georgia Department of Law, Consumer Protection Division (Lemon Law) once Ford signs for the letter they will have 7 days, etc...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I have a 2020 Titanium Hybrid with the 12 volt battery problem. You are correct that the AGM battery is now the OEM battery for the 2021, but not for the 2020. I have taken my escape to the dealer 6 times now because my 12 volt battery has to be jumped. They replaced the battery once, they did all the updates and SSM. They also did the parasitic draw test which was good. I bought this brand new in April 2021. I did open a case with Ford for buy back and they denied it. So now I am sending them a letter for final repair opportunity via the Georgia Department of Law, Consumer Protection Division (Lemon Law) once Ford signs for the letter they will have 7 days, etc...
Just spend the $200 and get an AGM group 48 battery already. Why go through all of that when it takes 30 minutes to fix?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Just spend the $200 and get an AGM group 48 battery already. Why go through all of that when it takes 30 minutes to fix?
Agree...as you know @tjace34 the AGM48 battery would solve your problem but only came standard with the 2021 model. Apparently Ford refuse to replace the smaller battery in any 2020 model with the AGM type and all they may do is stubbornly just replace it with the same battery type again under warranty and claim that is the OEM part if challenged by any authority.
Others here with the same problem have just bitten the bullet and bought the larger AGM battery as suggested and have had no further problems.
I understand your frustration but it is just not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just posted this on another thread but figured I'd include it here. Thanks again Colorado_Al for the deep research and fix.

-------------------------------------------
First time I've ever joined an Escape forum in order to login and post a comment. I have been going down this rabbit hole for my wife's 2020 Escape Hybrid SE SPORT for about a year and a half now. Deep sleep is such a pain when the only way you can remote start is by using the app(SE Sport keyfob doesn't have the start button).

March 2021 the battery it came with(10/2019 build date purchased in 01/2020) had been in deep sleep on and off for awhile and finally got tired of it. The dealer replaced the battery because it was deemed a bad battery(drained too much over time). My wife works very close to home and with the pandemic we weren't doing long trips of driving.

Oct 2021 took it back in because it started deep sleep again and they charged the battery and returned it to us. Not even a day later deep sleep returned. Their so called fix to me was bs..."just drive it more". Not a real fix! So after doing a bunch of research I came across numerous threads, and the one that gave me my final decision was from Colorado_Al. I called the dealership up and after being bounced around between service, parts, and service talking with a technician, and many choice words later, they scheduled me to have the 48AGM installed(despite their numerous objections and statements that it could potentially cause damage).Ford does not want to admit blame with this because if they did, they would have to issue a recall and install expensive AGM batteries in thousands of vehicles at their expense. Rather than fighting with Ford any further, we foot the bill for the larger battery that is present in late 2020 production models and current 2021 models.

11/5/2021: Today is the day that they finally installed the battery for us. With how much of a pain it's been, I decided to get a new OBDLink cable since I couldn't find my old one. I'm glad I did. Yes, they did use Forscan to update the BMS battery type to AGM. But no, they didn't update the actual battery options away from factory name. Also I noticed SOC(state of charge) was showing 120(%). Most likely that was due to them having the AGM battery listed but still claiming it was the 45ah battery. I manually decided to change it to 80% when I switched the actual battery name over to the 70ah AGM.

Based on what I have seen in multiple threads, there hasn't been anyone that this didn't fix their issues with deep sleep. But just to be safe, when we go out of town tomorrow, i'm bringing the laptop and obd cable with. I want to thank everyone who's brought up these issues and giving it attention because we were close to just giving up and trading the car in for a gas version.

Moral of the story: Just pay out of pocket for the AGM battery...it'll be less hassle.
--------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,592 Posts
Just posted this on another thread but figured I'd include it here. Thanks again Colorado_Al for the deep research and fix.

-------------------------------------------
First time I've ever joined an Escape forum in order to login and post a comment. I have been going down this rabbit hole for my wife's 2020 Escape Hybrid SE SPORT for about a year and a half now. Deep sleep is such a pain when the only way you can remote start is by using the app(SE Sport keyfob doesn't have the start button).

March 2021 the battery it came with(10/2019 build date purchased in 01/2020) had been in deep sleep on and off for awhile and finally got tired of it. The dealer replaced the battery because it was deemed a bad battery(drained too much over time). My wife works very close to home and with the pandemic we weren't doing long trips of driving.

Oct 2021 took it back in because it started deep sleep again and they charged the battery and returned it to us. Not even a day later deep sleep returned. Their so called fix to me was bs..."just drive it more". Not a real fix! So after doing a bunch of research I came across numerous threads, and the one that gave me my final decision was from Colorado_Al. I called the dealership up and after being bounced around between service, parts, and service talking with a technician, and many choice words later, they scheduled me to have the 48AGM installed(despite their numerous objections and statements that it could potentially cause damage).Ford does not want to admit blame with this because if they did, they would have to issue a recall and install expensive AGM batteries in thousands of vehicles at their expense. Rather than fighting with Ford any further, we foot the bill for the larger battery that is present in late 2020 production models and current 2021 models.

11/5/2021: Today is the day that they finally installed the battery for us. With how much of a pain it's been, I decided to get a new OBDLink cable since I couldn't find my old one. I'm glad I did. Yes, they did use Forscan to update the BMS battery type to AGM. But no, they didn't update the actual battery options away from factory name. Also I noticed SOC(state of charge) was showing 120(%). Most likely that was due to them having the AGM battery listed but still claiming it was the 45ah battery. I manually decided to change it to 80% when I switched the actual battery name over to the 70ah AGM.

Based on what I have seen in multiple threads, there hasn't been anyone that this didn't fix their issues with deep sleep. But just to be safe, when we go out of town tomorrow, i'm bringing the laptop and obd cable with. I want to thank everyone who's brought up these issues and giving it attention because we were close to just giving up and trading the car in for a gas version.

Moral of the story: Just pay out of pocket for the AGM battery...it'll be less hassle.
--------------------------------------------------
Actually the dealers use Ford FDRS, not ForScan so they don't set battery types manually all they would have done is a follow the service function to do a battery reset. The higher charge state showing in ForScan is more than likely due to the BMS system in the Hybrid expecting a nominal voltage of ~11.75 vDC and the AGM voltage out of the box being higher.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Actually the dealers use Ford FDRS, not ForScan so they don't set battery types manually all they would have done is a follow the service function to do a battery reset. The higher charge state showing in ForScan is more than likely due to the BMS system in the Hybrid expecting a nominal voltage of ~11.75 vDC and the AGM voltage out of the box being higher.
That explains the DTC I had for the battery as well. With voltage exceeding the desired.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium
172 Posts
I've been plagued with the "Deep Sleep" issue (with the concomitant electrical items not working) ever since I picked up my 2020 Titanium hybrid in May, 2020, with the issue being worse during the winter (which is not exactly extreme here in the Pacific Northwest!). Back in 2020 I took the car in complaining about the passenger side intelligent entry door not working and was blown off with the all-too-typical "that's the way it is supposed to work" message.

I took the vehicle in again earlier this week and asked them to install the 48AGM battery (I was prepared to pay for it). The dealer told me that it wouldn't fit and that it isn't appropriate anyway because it is a "truck battery." They DID, however, test my original battery and said that it wouldn't pass their "rigorous" test and replaced it under warranty. The tech also wrote that I needed to drive my car more if I expected the battery to work right.

I'm fully expecting that the new battery will fix things for a while, until it doesn't, which seems to be what others on this forum have experienced.

My question is this: How do I get a Ford dealer to actually replace the battery when they say it "won't fit" and decline to do it?

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium
172 Posts
There is one thing I don't quite understand, though, about how a larger capacity battery helps with the "Deep Sleep" issue. I have about 5K miles over 18months, and do mostly short suburban trips. If I don't get enough ICE time to charge the smaller, stock 2020 battery sufficiently, how does a larger capacity battery solve that problem?

41 - 60 of 69 Posts