2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,362 Posts
I will add to the fire because it appears that Ford is completely leaving the chronic APIM / ACIM issues to us to resolve.

Short story - 2013 SEL, bought new, love the car! Had it in twice as detailed below in my email thread to local dealer customer sat liaison. So dealer now wants $900 to repair what I view as a problem reported under warranty 6 years ago that was never resolved. Dealer committed to respond in 24 hours - that was 15 days ago.

Partial email thread:
Sent: 8/26/2019 2:38:04 PM
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,
Subject: RE: Regarding your recent visit with us

OK, since I have been out of town and the link to Ford survey has expired, I will provide feedback via a response to this email.

I am very dissatisfied with Ford and XXXXXXXX Service’s handling of the issue I am experiencing with my 2013 Escape.
I merged your thread with one of the existing threads on changing the ACM. Have a loon thought some of the other posts for some possible help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to everyone on this forum. My wife has a 2014 Ford Escape and sound was not working, replaced the CD player/ACM module and sound is back and saved a ton of money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Those are the antenna leads for the AM/FM and Satellite Radio (I don't know which is which, even if you don't use Satellite just put 'em both back in the correct place). Do Not Cut The Antenna Leads In Your Car Harness !

See below (detail of a photo 'stolen' from a classified ad pic by @HayaiKuruma)
  • The 'button' you push only goes down ~1mm and is very stiff
  • You are pulling/removing the entire 3/8" wide x 5/8" high black connector which includes the nylon part with the 'button' and all the part wrapped in black - NOT just the cable/its metal end (same for the other 'mustard-colored' one)
  • When the 'button' is pushed correctly, the connector will slide off with no resistance whatsoever.
  • I've found that a pair of needle-nosed pliers with serrated 'grippy tips', one tip on the 'button' and the other tip on the bottom of the connector, squeezed gently but firmly and then pulling outward, works for me. Don't 'pull' until the button is 'pushed'.
  • If you buy an ACM with the connectors in place, practice on that before doing it on your own in-car harness ;-)

Oh, and you are correct, the extended warranty referenced by @ralph7up relates only to the APIM - not the ACM.

Other considerations when installing a used ACM .... it should be a plug-and-play procedure as long as the replacement ACM comes from an Escape with the identical audio system (e.g. "Sony" sound if your Escape has "Sony" sound, non-Sony 6-speaker > non-Sony 6-speaker, non-Sony 9-speaker > non-Sony 9-speaker). Note: NAV/non-NAV is not a factor - it's the audio system features that need to match for plug-and-play simplicity.

If the replacement ACM is from other than an Escape or is a different audio system, it can be made to work but that may involve some ACM re-programming effort using FORScan. There's help with that here if needed. Note that HD radio and satellite radio cannot be added by re-programming - you must have a 'hardware match' insofar as those features.

Also, if you have an active Sirius subscription .... the replacement ACM will have a different unique Sirius ESN number hard-coded into it - you'll have to contact Sirius support to get them to transfer your subscription to the new ESN. The new ESN is on the Serial Number bar code tag on the ACM (it will also be correctly reported on your MFT menu when the replacement ACM is installed). If you don't have a current Sirius subscription you can just ignore this - you or a later owner can get a new subscription any time by giving them the ESN reported on your MFT screen.

Hope that helps, you should have no problem finding a replacement used ACM for MUCH less than new MSRP, good luck!

BIG THANKS!!! I have been all over the internet the last week trying to find this answer, no one else on any other forum has been able to help. I have my new acm and am pulling my old one out but I for the life of only could find "just cut them and put your own in". So thank you so much for answering this man's question so I may happen upon it! WOO!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. Looking for some advice. While removing my old ACM I broke one of those small connectors on the bottom left corner in the rear of the module. The plastic was hard and brittle and when I squeezed to pull it out the plastic connector broke. On the used ACM that I purchased the connectors were included as the junk yard just cut the wires. My question is can i splice the connector from the replacement unit onto the wire from my car? Is that even possible? Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,091 Posts
My question is can i splice the connector from the replacement unit onto the wire from my car? Is that even possible? Thanks in advance for your advice.
You'd be better off removing the terminal pins from the plugs and swapping the plug shells over.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can also buy replacement plugs. I assume you are taking about the FAKRA connectors. Are yours black and white.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply smartguy69. Yes the plugs are the small ones on the back and they are black and white. The white one broke. I was able to splice the plug from the junk yard ACM on to the wiring in my car. Thought it was worth a shot and it worked great! Happy to have my radio back!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts