2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

481 - 500 of 511 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
in my 2015 2.0 awd i get 24 to 25 mpg about 60% city driving about 10.2, 10.6 km / l.

the magic multiplier for mpg to kmpl is (mpg)*(.425) = kmpl

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm currently getting 27.4 mpg city. The key for me was not jumping on the turbo, no quick acceleration, and coasting early to a stop light. I have about 1,200 miles on the clock now.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My lifetime average over the 24,611 miles I owned my 2013 Escape 2.0T AWD was 24.7mpg over 88 fill ups.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Been running 93 octane for the last couple fill ups and have average 22.2 mpg vs 87 which I was getting about 18.5mpg. Michigan winters take a toll on gas mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My fuel economy spreadsheet since purchase Jan 31

Filled up and drove to work, leisurely pace

Edit: file size, will retry later

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm averaging 27.5 mpg computer calculated, 37k miles on 2016 SE, mostly highway. I hit about 300 miles per tank, only filled up once so far though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We usually get around 8.5-9.5 L/100k (30-33 mpg)

I've had a trip from London to St. Catharines Ontario as low as 7.4 l/100 (38 mpg) Must have had a strong wind behind me the whole way :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Model is a slightly older version with a smaller engine but my 2 cents it may help

I have a 1.6L Eco Boost 2015 Ford Escape without the roof rack.. Has about 32,000 miles on it.

What you'll see in efficiency will depends a lot on the following:

- How many KM are on the vehicle. The Current in-car realtime efficiency number jumps around a lot less then when I first had the vehicle, and it seems to be more efficient
- Winter (worse) or Summer (better) Tires
- Temperature (Cold air is denser so harder to push through)
- Weather (Snow, and wind direction. If the wind is blowing your way millage is better :)
- Speed that you drive at (there are sweet spots a different gears)
- fast starts and gunning and breaking hard (bad)
- A lot of city stop and go or highway congestion (bad)
- Engine size and if eco boost (aka Turbo) is equipped and engaged a lot (I.M.O. eco boost effects gas millage noticeably but gives the SUV a performance kick when needed - You hear it as a high pitch whine similar to a transport truck)
- Window positions. I find opening the front windows about an inch, and the back windows about 2" seems to improve gas millage. Seems to make it more aerodynamic. Anyone else see this? Basically where there isn't much air movement in the cabin but you can hear air flow)
- Dropping the car into manual shift mode, using Gear 5 going up hills, and into 6 for going down and flat driving.

I'm up in Canada (so KM verse MPG); but there is an option on my car to flip between the two and I've used a web tool Convert Liters per 100 Kilometers to Miles Per Gallon (US) to somewhat validate what i see in Ford MPG vrs L/100Km

On the Highway, as long as I control my urges and if I've converted it correctly, I'm able to get between 32 MPG and 38 MPG (90 highway/10 city split) on a single 58.1 mile trip (116 miles both way) to work at (100 to 110 KM/Hour speeds @ just under 2000 RPM in 6th). Have a picture but my 0 posts disallows me to add them in.. Send me a msg if you want to see proof.

In the City, I find its more painful. where its between 17 and 23 MPG

I have a work friend who can get 33 MPG consistently and she drives her 2013 Ford Escape 2.4L like she's racing in the Indy. She doesn't have Eco Boost, which might the reason why (Just a guess.. Still trying to figure out how she gets her fuel economy based on how she drives.. )

Note: I find the actual escape vehicle gas millage calculation is +/- about 5-10%

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just picked up a 2015 2WD 1.6L Titanium. Love the thing, but had to figure out the mileage. Took a trip to FL, averaged around 25mpg the whole way, expected better. Drove at/near the speed limit all the way down, drove it like I stole it home, made no difference.

Had the opportunity to work on figuring it out this past weekend. Drove a a 2-hr (each way) trip that was 1 hour highway, 1 hour byway up-and-down. Set it at 60mph and achieved 35mpg average on the way down. Set it at 65 and averaged right at 32mpg on the way back, with the tank-average continuing to climb all the way home (but slowly). Went over 400 miles on the last tank and I wasn't at the desperate stage on getting to a station.

The in-car average matches real-world calculation when I set the pump on the slow-fill notch, or very nearly matches, as confirmed with the FillUp app on my phone.

Clearly the thing has a happy spot at 65mph, and it's quiet at that speed, running the A/C and all the goodies.

Tough for me though, as the other vehicle is my HD Vrod or the '04 Mach1 (which has gotten 28mpg on a hwy run), so I'm not used to being the guy in the right lane!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just drove my (new to me) 2014 2.0L, Titanium on a 300-mile trip. It has 36K miles on the odometer and was running on 10% ethanol 93 octane fuel. I drove from eastern Long Island to upstate NY, so some traffic through NYC, then NYS Thruway via Catskill Mts and into the foothills of the Green Mts. I set cruise control set at 75 mph most of the way after noticing much lower mpg at 82-83 mph (dropped to 22-24 instant mpg on flats) and averaged 27.5 mpg over the 300 miles. I think this little car is a good cruiser. Plenty of hp to get out of the way or just get rolling quickly, (especially in sport mode) and is generally very comfortable. I'm impressed by the performance of this 2.0L engine especially when compared to the 5.9L in my Ram pickup which makes the same HP but gets about 11 mpg. (Then again, it will tow 13.5K lbs...)

·
Registered
129 Posts
At 92k miles my mpg has been dropping down. Now it is 23.5 computer calculated, it used to be over 27 but it has ben slowly dropping down over the years. My driving habits are the same. I wonder if this is related to carbon build up.

2013 titanium 2.0 fwd

·
Registered
697 Posts
I just set my personal best for one tank of regular gasoline returning from Bloomington, IN after dropping off my son for his first year at IU. I filled up on August 19, and drove home 200 miles, then put another 297 miles in the following two weeks driving back and forth to work.

My fill-up yesterday was 13.775 gallons, for a calculated 36.131 MPG!:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just drove my (new to me) 2014 2.0L, Titanium on a 300-mile trip. It has 36K miles on the odometer and was running on 10% ethanol 93 octane fuel. I drove from eastern Long Island to upstate NY, so some traffic through NYC, then NYS Thruway via Catskill Mts and into the foothills of the Green Mts. I set cruise control set at 75 mph most of the way after noticing much lower mpg at 82-83 mph (dropped to 22-24 instant mpg on flats) and averaged 27.5 mpg over the 300 miles. I think this little car is a good cruiser. Plenty of hp to get out of the way or just get rolling quickly, (especially in sport mode) and is generally very comfortable. I'm impressed by the performance of this 2.0L engine especially when compared to the 5.9L in my Ram pickup which makes the same HP but gets about 11 mpg. (Then again, it will tow 13.5K lbs...)
Update: On the return trip the weather was cooler, (No AC for the first 200 miles), and I filled up (13 gallons) with fuel not available around my home; 91 Octane, non-ethanol gas. I followed the same speed patterns as above and encountered similar traffic. I topped off with 93 octane, 10% ethanol when I was at 1/2 full. This trip I only managed around 24.5 mpg bringing my round trip average to 26 mpg over 600 miles. My takeaway is that the engine gets better economy on higher octane and the ethanol content doesn't seem to make much difference. I understand my conclusions are not scientific so will continue to experiment.

·
Registered
799 Posts
went back to Carmel ca today ! Pebble Beach Concours d elegance is this Sunday 18th hole Pebble Beach, Ca
averaged 24.7 going 75 > 80 mph
Saw a lot of pristine factory new million dollar cars!! some are probably well over 2 > 3 million
Crem de la Crem
these cars dated back to the teens/20/30/40's
No low riders, no high riders, no special spoilers, no special ignition tuning,no special air induction
If you did this to these cars they would be worthless and have no value
There is also a Concours de Lemons where you do a lot of stupid stuff to your car and it is the laughing ****!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
947 Posts
There is always some conjecture here about fuel saving when using normal auto stop/start mode compared to Sport mode obviously without the stop/start feature.
i went on a round trip of around 208 km (130 miles) recently which involved around 60% traffic and the rest highway all in Sport mode.
I got 8.6 litres/100km (aussie) which is exactly what Ford states in their blurbs as the combined average usage.
This equates to around 33 mpg aussie or 27.3 mpg. US which is around the same as I got in normal stop/start mode not long ago over the same journey.
I have done the same comparisons before with a/c on each time with similar results.
I know these comparisons are not completely accurate due to different traffic and weather conditions etc. but it does indicate that you do not save much, if any, fuel with the stop/start feature in my view.

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
There is always some conjecture here about fuel saving when using normal auto stop/start mode compared to Sport mode obviously without the stop/start feature.
i went on a round trip of around 208 km (130 miles) recently which involved around 60% traffic and the rest highway all in Sport mode.
I got 8.6 litres/100km (aussie) which is exactly what Ford states in their blurbs as the combined average usage.
This equates to around 33 mpg aussie or 27.3 mpg. US which is around the same as I got in normal stop/start mode not long ago over the same journey.
I have done the same comparisons before with a/c on each time with similar results.
I know these comparisons are not completely accurate due to different traffic and weather conditions etc. but it does indicate that you do not save much, if any, fuel with the stop/start feature in my view.
This thread doesn’t really have anything to do with the Start/Stop feature. There are other threads that discuss Start/Stop feature and whether or not it saves mileage. I am just trying to stop this thread from turning into another Start/Stop thread.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
947 Posts
This thread doesn’t really have anything to do with the Start/Stop feature. There are other threads that discuss Start/Stop feature and whether or not it saves mileage. I am just trying to stop this thread from turning into another Start/Stop thread.
Sorry...I searched for a suitable thread for my comments and obviously did not come up with a suitable one re fuel consumption experiences.
I will give myself an uppercut...:p

·
Registered
2013 For Escape Platinum White Titanium 2WD 2.0L EcoBoost
3 Posts
Since buying my Ford 2 weeks ago I'm averaging 24 mpg combined. Manly highway. Is this the usual mpg. I have read that 26 is the usual. Any advice to get better mpg. Thanks guys.

481 - 500 of 511 Posts