2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

221 - 240 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would say they are Amber LEDs also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Looks sweet as heck! Doesn't appear to be white behind amber lenses like mine was.

I'm about to buy some paint and spray my own grille... Can't justify paying a body shop $200 to spray it with trim black.

Reactions: Golfman

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks sweet as heck! Doesn't appear to be white behind amber lenses like mine was.

I'm about to buy some paint and spray my own grille... Can't justify paying a body shop $200 to spray it with trim black.
Thanks bud, I had em spray it Gloss (Shadowblack).

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks bud, I had em spray it Gloss (Shadowblack).
I bought SEM 39143 Trim Black for mine. Also bought SEM 39863 Adhesion Promoter, to help it stick. But first, I'm get to scuff it up with 3M Ultra Fine Scotch-Brite pads (part number 37448).

I'm hoping to get it painted this weekend, but life is a four letter word...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks good. How do the lights look at night? Like stated before the LEDs are white behind my amber lenses.
Just got it from the body shop so tonight I will go light it up after dark, Will post results!

How many hours did the shop take to do the install? I’m going to take it to a shop that wants to charge $105/hour, so I want to know what I’m getting into before I take it to them.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Golfman those do look amber and better than mine. I am positive mine are white LEDs behind the amber lenses. I wonder if there is a way to fix that without removing the grill.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Golfman those do look amber and better than mine. I am positive mine are white LEDs behind the amber lenses. I wonder if there is a way to fix that without removing the grill.
I'm not an expert yet (I haven't had the chance to paint and install mine yet), but I believe you might need to remove the grill to gain access to the two screws which hold the lights in place.

Mine came with white LEDs behind amber lenses (as I previously mentioned) and fixing it was a bit time consuming. If you don't have any real experience with soldering or desoldering SMD (Surface Mount Device) components, I can see it being a total challenge. The biggest pain (for me) was cracking open the sealed amber lens housings without damaging them beyond repair. Once I had all three opened up, the LED swap was done in about an hour, taking my time along the way. And when it came time to reseal the lens housings, I couldn't just leave the hot glue in place to seal around the wires. I pulled out the hot glue and used 3M RTV to replace it, and then I used LocTite EA9017 epoxy to seal the units shut again.

Once I got the three units resealed, I was kind of miffed that the manufacturer used white LEDs instead of amber LEDs, so I felt the need to double-check the wiring. I didn't want my lights to end up failing down the road due to poor quality workmanship. Sure enough, I needed to redo that bit too (as I believe I previously mentioned).

I'm confident that once I get the grille sprayed and installed, it will last at least until the first bird strike, or the first time I rear end someone...lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
Where did you guys that have done this install tap into the wires? The harness that attaches to the bumper cover or somewhere else?
If you use the lights in the bumper cover, I believe you would be tapping into the wires for the fog lights or the turn signals. I wouldn't use either of those.

I would suggest tapping into the wires for the amber running lights, located in the exterior corner of the headlamps - pick a side to tap into, left or right. The wiring colors may be found here, in another thread I whipped up:

http://www.fordescape.org/forum/electronics-audio-lighting/106986-2017-front-end-lighting-wire-colors.html

Reactions: Lhearold

·
Registered
13 Posts
The color coding is listed previously in this thread and in the link wandering mind just posted. I taped into the passenger side wiring for the headlight. There is a big connector there. Be forewarned it is a pain if you have big hands as there is not much room.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It is not on ....I just stuck it on there to see. I painted mine with SEM bumper cover...came out the way i wanted it...Matches all the plastic on the Escape. It is getting done soon.http://
Bumper cover, or Trim Black?

I ask because I'm getting ready to paint mine, and I have SEM Trim Black...

Additional questions. Did you use the SEM adhesion promoter spray? Did you rough up the original surface with a grey 3M scour pad?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I did not use adhesion promoter. And i did not scuff the surface...the silver finish was grainy enough for me. I took the lights out, and washed it real good with soap and water ...let dry and sprayed it. I used the bumper coverhttps://www.amazon.com/SEM-39103-Original-Flexible-Aerosol/dp/B00078AOAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529913489&sr=8-1&keywords=sem+bumper+coater I removed all the letters when i sprayed as well.
I think it's settled then... Time to put the trim black aside and go with the bumper cover spray you linked to. I love the look! Now I'm glad I didn't spray mine while I had a hair up my rear to do so...

Thanks for the input!!!:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did not do it myself, The body shop did it when they installed it. Sorry cant help ya there.

221 - 240 of 266 Posts