2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
281 - 291 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe the stop/start feature will cease to work if the battery drops below 70% to 80% charge level.
If you do not use the car much these days or only do short trips the battery may not be able to retain sufficient charge as you indicate.
Perhaps you could attach a trickle charger to the battery to keep it fully charged if the car is not in use for any length of time.
When you mention the low battery level, are you referring to the main battery or the battery for the Auto S/S?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
When you mention the low battery level, are you referring to the main battery or the battery for the Auto S/S?
This was in reference to the 3G models 2013 to 2019 where there is only one battery involved.. There is no seperate battery for the S/S feature.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, I have 2019 Fors escape SE with 1.5L. I have been having an on going issue with the Auto SS. When I first encountered the issue my car would turn off automatically and when I take my foot of the break and push the accelerator there would be a delay in getting the car into gear and there would be a jolt felt once it got into gear. I took it in to the dealership whete they first changed the Aux. Transmission pump and they also installed a new battery. That did not fix the issue. They ultimately replaced the whole automatic transmission. When I got it back it was working fine. After about a month of using my car the car slowly began to have the same issue. Now there are times when it works and times when it doesn’t. The car meets all the parameters for it function properly. Now it will only work after I start it up and complete my first initial stop. But it will only remain off for like 10 seconds and turn back on. After that my vehicle will say the Auto Start Stop feature is not available. So I am not sure what it could be anymore. Any thoughts because it sounds like the dealership doesnt know either.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Could you please advise your pattern of using the car? Do you use it daily? Do you mainly do short trips? Does it stand for days or weeks at a time without use?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought one of these cheap battery tenders: Black and Decker BM3B battery maintainer. $20. Just plug it into the Power port in the middle storage area between the seats. Took about 14 hrs to charge fully. Works great. I don't have anything plugged in that is draining the battery. I'll see how the car behaves for the next week or so with our normal driving. Too bad they don't supply a better battery. To be frank, I didn't really care that much that the Stop/ Start wasn't working, but I want the car to run as intended. I wonder if that starting and stopping all the time can be hard on the starter motor? Hopefully Ford took that into consideration. Thanks.
Checked with a mechanic and was told that they don't see starter failures due to stop start engines. They have been engineered to handle that. However they are rough on batteries and the start stop takes it's toll. He noted that usually these cars are equipped with better batteries to adjust to the start stop frequency. Nevertheless he did note that cars with this feature usually see their batteries fail sooner than cars without that feature. We are in the process of purchasing a used 2007 Escape and I plan to turn that feature off. I just came back from a trip where I rented a Jeep Compass with start stop and I found that car uncomfortable to drive in city traffic and during heavy start stop traffic. At the time we needed air conditioning and I found that it didn't take long for the interior of the car to become uncomfortable since the Jeep internal fan started blowing warm air fairly quickly after stopping.

I did some looking for replacement batteries for the Escape and many of the battery sites that allow you to put in your car information have a question as to whether the car has stop start technology. If you answer no, they recommend a 96R battery. However if you say yes, they always recommend the better AGM battery. Obviously if you are running with a 96R and do a lot of city driving, start stop will take it's toll on the stock 96R battery. All the more reason for me to turn this feature off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could you please advise your pattern of using the car? Do you use it daily? Do you mainly do short trips? Does it stand for days or weeks at a time without use?
Hello, me and my wife use the car daily. I guess you can say we do a mixture of long and short trips. Besides using it for pleasure and errands, we use it for grocery delivering as well. The vehicle has never stood for days or weeks without use.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Hello, me and my wife use the car daily. I guess you can say we do a mixture of long and short trips. Besides using it for pleasure and errands, we use it for grocery delivering as well. The vehicle has never stood for days or weeks without use.
Ok..could you try and establish with the dealer if they reset the BMS after installing the new battery?

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Ok..could you try and establish with the dealer if they reset the BMS after installing the new battery?
Good suggestion but I have caught my dealer forgetting to do a requested/reminded BMS reset using my monitoring app. It is now a part of my routine to check before I fully accept car and leave dealer. It was VERY promptly corrected when I brought it to their attention.

Reactions: wiz043

·
Registered
69 Posts
I changed my battery to a Optima Yellow Top and that problem went away.

Reactions: murcod

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,482 Posts
I changed my battery to a Optima Yellow Top and that problem went away.
What model did you get to fit okay? I'm considering putting a Red Top in mine as the battery is still the original.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don’t know the model, but I got it from AutoZone.

281 - 291 of 291 Posts