2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
141 - 160 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Something else to consider is I think you'll find the wheel width is 7.5" for the 235/55R17 vs 8" for the 235/45R19. (It is with the Spanish built Kuga/ Escape.) That could affect clearance between the strut and tyre/ wheel.
I'm not too worried about the strut clearance since I'm sizing down to 17x7.5, increasing offset to 40mm, and both OEM tires are 235 which means from the tire they should be about the same width. Comparing the sets on wheel-size.com says I should be increasing my strut clearance a good amount.

I think the biggest concern seems to be clearance against front/back around the mud flaps, which I believe is the main thing I've seen being trimmed.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Well I have put the P235/60R17 Falken Wildpeak Trails through a couple of snowstorms so far. I would not say they are magic on the snow or any better than the Cooper Discoverer AT3, but they seem to do the job OK. They are certainly better than any worn tire with not much tread left. I started taking a short but steep incline in 1' of wet snow (turned into sleet-like beach sand after a week) with a turn in it and traction control off and I started getting stuck. I did successfully back out onto more firm ground without needing to be towed out. Giving full power I did notice the Falkans start to "float" over the deep snow to get me out...so I guess that softer compound and more biting surfaces did help. There was a little slipping on hardened road ice though. It's wintertime and we all need to drive accordingly despite what tires we have. There still is no rub for the one size larger tire...so anyone looking to upsize tires one size, remember that Cooper Discoverer AT3 and Falken Wildpeak Trails both fit without rub. Read through my prior posts some pages back about removing the rear forward-facing mud/air flaps so they don't make contact with the rear tires after putting the Escape back on the ground off a shop lift. They are a tight fitment but can shoehorn in.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Came across this list of "small" AT tires that may fit the escape.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2014 Ford escape AWD titanium
128 Posts
I just wanted to share this in case anyone else had been wanting to do this I have a titanium so mine came with the 18-in rims and I've been wanting to put all terrains on I wanted to put the falcon atw threes but there's no size that would fit with 18-in rims and I couldn't find anyone to trade for 17s that were near me but luckily falcon last year came out with some new tires that are almost all terrains is what I would call them they're categorized as all terrains but to me they're not quite they're the falcon wild peak a/t trail and it's a good compromise because you know I'm not off-roading this is hard as my other vehicles so it should give me better Street manners it's got a 65,000 mi warranty I've all my family has falcons we never have problems with them and they're usually price decently I paid $158 per tire and I ordered them at Walmart and then it was $56 for installation and lifetime balancing it was like $14 a tire so not too bad I didn't get the warranty cuz I fixed my own tires but they look really good so far no rubbing they did have to take the mud flaps off the back for them to fit though they are two steps taller they're still 235 and the rim is 18 but instead of 50s theyre 235/60/r18 and they're actually more aggressive in person than they looked online the side walls are really nice for this kind of tire I'll try to remember to load an update once I've had them on for at least a thousand miles to let you know how they're working you can tell the ride is a tiny bit stiffer but it's not much at all and so far it's still rides nice but I only did a three mile drive from Walmart to my house so far

Reactions: needliftnow

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,449 Posts
@Messw/stuff I've added your post onto the existing A/T tyre thread.

Reactions: Gryffindor101

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just wanted to share I've gotten 484 mi on the new tires and so far everything is awesome I was up in flag and I didn't get a chance to go off road cuz all the trails were closed but I was able to drive through snow and the car fell planted the whole time even though I was doing 75 miles an hour when I probably shouldn't have been when I was in an open parking lot I got going about 15 miles an hour and slammed on my brakes and it didn't seem to slide at all so there was really good contacts even tho it wasn't quite only ice it was like ice with snow on top but basically the only slightly bad thing I've noticed is because they're bigger tires and heavier it has affected the performance a tiny bit you can definitely tell that it's working just a little harder with the extra rotating weight and the larger circumference and so far there's been no rubbing or anything at all you just got to take off the rear mud flaps which the Walmart people are nice enough to do for me cuz I forgot to so so far I am super happy that I got these tires and with the other four sets of falkens that I've purchased over time they've always been really good especially for the price and the treadware is amazing they last so long

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
but basically the only slightly bad thing I've noticed is because they're bigger tires and heavier it has affected the performance a tiny bit you can definitely tell that it's working just a little harder with the extra rotating weight and the larger circumference
Sounds good, but obviously, as you know the performance will drop a little due to the gearing being altered a bit by the larger circumference.
You are aware of course that your speedo will be out and when it shows 60mph for instance you are actually doing around 64mph and your odometer will not record your correct mileage.
Possibly you have recalibrated your speedo to allow for this though... :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah I have a tuner that I can change the speedo but I used a GPS calibrated Speedo and at 80 mph it's only 3 mph over so it's not that big of a deal but eventually I'll get around to doing the math and updating the speedo with my tuner

Reactions: wiz043

·
Registered
538 Posts
@Messw/stuff, when you get to updating your speedometer, please create a specific page/thread here with detailed instructions, and if you can, pictures illustrating what is done or changed. Of course put a link on this threat to that new page too.
I have posted about the topic here before and all I know what something needed to be changed with Forscan...but there was no specific instructions or procedure specific for Gen 3 Escapes.
Is your "tuner" something else entirely?
I concur with the approx 3-4 MPH under reading at highway speed...something I really would like to correct if it was simple enough. Thanks.

Reactions: XCAPE

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use an sct x4 with an unleashed 87 tune so not forascan

Reactions: needliftnow

·
Registered
128 Posts
On my tuner you just have to look up the revolutions per mile and then find the closest one in your tuner it's probably similar in forescan

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just wanted to post an update since I put about 1500 miles on the tires and so far everything is still perfect and I had a chance to drive them in mud and I thought I was going to get stuck but they did a really good job. I wish I had taken pictures to show the tracks also we had a snow storm up in Flagstaff last weekend and they did perfect. when a lot of people were getting stuck I'd had absolutely no problem there was a flash snow storm and the highway got covered in like 2-3 inches of snow and ice and I didn't slip it all actually I was helping some people move their cars out of the road who got stuck so so far still really happy with the tires. I wish I could have gotten the atw3s but with my 18-in rims they just didn't have a good size for me for the escape, which I had on my last suv, which are more aggressive they're real all terrains or that's how I think of them, but I'm still really happy with these I have noticed a drop in my gas mileage I used to average 26 although I do drive mostly highway. now I'm averaging about 22 but I haven't updated the speedometer so I think some of that loss is just cuz the computer isn't accounting for us driving farther because they think that the tire is smaller so actually going farther per revolution than it thinks it is. also it isn't quite as snappy in the performance but I still have absolutely no problem getting going passing people it's still just as much power as I could need for pretty much any situation. And these tires are the fallen AT's in 235/60/18 two sizes taller same width

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I know a few people have been asking in regards to finding all-terrain tires that have no fitment/rubbing issues. I decided to place my input on a set that I just mounted today.

I ended up getting the Toyo Open Country A/T II tires at the size of 255/55/18. I would confidently say that this is the largest tire in the A/T category and probably the only A/T size that you are going to be able to find that will fit the FE on the factory 18" wheels.

It is a snug fitment however there are no rubbing issues, however I have noticed the turning to be softer than what I was running on before which was 245/60/18. This isn't a big issue for me, rather it is just an adjustment period of turning. There is about an inch of space between the front sidewall of the tires and front fender. And a little more of an inch from the back of the front tire to the front quarter panel heading toward the doors. For the rear tires, it's about an inch and a half gap between the front of the tire and rear quarter panel toward the rear door and maybe about an inch 3/4 from the back of the tire sidewall to the front of back bumper.

So far on dry pavement I've been sticking to the road much better than to the Bridgestone Duelers H/T. The Toyos are highly reviewed from all aspects of pavement, whether wet or dry.

Tomorrow it's supposed to rain, so hopefully I can provide an update on the handling on these tires.

Pictures to follow for anyone interested in the fitment.
Uh, I just found this comminity, sold my jeep, wanted some pictures of some tires these are Pencil Thin! anybody got anything?

·
Registered
2018 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0L Ecoboost 4WD
8 Posts
Looking to purchase this 1.6" lift kit for my escape and I'm trying to find out the biggest tire size (overall diameter) I will be able to run with out big rubbing issues. I don't mind a minor trimming if I have to do it but nothing major.

This is the lift kit:

I know I have seen people with the lift kits on here and bigger tires but having trouble finding them put together. Once I can figure out the overall tire size I can start my search for the A/T tire options.

I also am not concerned with going over that 3% rule.I am aware of it and the disclaimer that comes with it.

I would love to hear about people experiences with these things and pictures if they can share.
Hi, did you ever install this lift kit? I've just ordered one for myself (2018 Escape) along with 1.5" Hubcentric wheel spacers. Am hoping to go from the stock 235/50/R18 (27.3" tall) to a 245/60/R18 (29.6" tall). I'm reserving judgement on this lift kit until I See it in person and may just dump it and try to find a local offroad shop here in SoCal to do a custom lift for me. Three years in the Escape is still a great car and I off-road it regularly it just needs a little lift!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape SE AWD 2.0 Ecoboost
52 Posts
For anyone who is curious, I have been running on 235/65r17 Falken Wildpeak AT Trails for the last 5k miles or so. They're wrapped around Motegi MR139 rally wheels. I have a custom 1 inch spacer lift up front from UCL. I had a little bit of rubbing on one of the lower screw heads attaching the fender well liner to the fender. This is the front/back clearance everyone is mentioning in this thread. It seems a 29.2 inch tire is pushing it very close to the limit of what you can fit without major trimming. I have flexed each corner of the suspension, to full droop and full compression, at full lock both directions and the tires only rub up front a tiny bit at full compression when turned to full lock. Even so, the rubbing is not audible. It just leaves light marks on the inner fender liner.

The Falkens have performed beautifully on varying types of terrain, from slush and mud covered mountain fire roads, 22 inches of water in a running creek (wherein I sliced open the stock all seasons and tore off the bottom side engine cover😂), up to roads made entirely of softball size rocks. When traversing washboard roads or fairly rough terrain, I air down the tires to 20 psi per corner, and it almost completely smoothes out the ride, as well as only losing about .2 inches of ground clearance. The escape does great paired with the all terrains, and the AWD system is excellent at sending power around. When starting on hills, I've noticed based on the AWD monitor that the car sends more power to the rear because that's where the weight of the car has shifted. Intelligent indeed. I live on the Central coast of California, near Pismo Beach, so snow is an uncommon occurrence, but as I mentioned, I have used the tires on slush, mud and ice on a trip to the mountains back in January. The tires performed very admirably there too, with minimal slip even on 3 wheels.

I don't mean to make anyone OVER confident in their Escape, because it is still just a crossover. However for the weekend explorer who wants to check out the cool campsites and scenery, it does awesome, and will get you even further on a solid set of tires like the Falkens. If anyone has any questions about the tires, my lift, or my experiences with my E, please feel free to ask them here or message me!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If anyone has any questions about the tires, my lift, or my experiences with my E, please feel free to ask them here or message me!
Hey GRIF3! I just made my account so this is the only way I'm able to message you for now lol. Really loving the build and hearing about your experience with the A/T Trails.

I just ordered a set of Fifteen52 Traverse MX wheels (17x8 ET38) and I really want to run 235/65's but am concerned they may be too big. Did you have the tires on without the lift, or did you require a custom front loft to make it fit? Like I said, I'm hoping to make it work but just don't wanna buy tires twice lol and not sure if I need to make any special adjustments.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to chatting!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape SE AWD 2.0 Ecoboost
52 Posts
Hey GRIF3! I just made my account so this is the only way I'm able to message you for now lol. Really loving the build and hearing about your experience with the A/T Trails.

I just ordered a set of Fifteen52 Traverse MX wheels (17x8 ET38) and I really want to run 235/65's but am concerned they may be too big. Did you have the tires on without the lift, or did you require a custom front loft to make it fit? Like I said, I'm hoping to make it work but just don't wanna buy tires twice lol and not sure if I need to make any special adjustments.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to chatting!
Hey, XCAPE! First of all, welcome to the forums!

The 235/65r17's are the largest tire you can fit from the factory, and this is because of the front to back clearances more than the top to bottom. A lift is not required to fit these size tires. I ran them for a few months on stock suspension before I got my front spacers.

Mine did rub just barely on one of the screws attaching the inner fender liner to the car up front. I removed the one screw on each side, and voila, no more rubbing and it did not affect the fender liners structural integrity. If I remember correctly, the back tires also rubbed a tiny bit on the little plastic mud guards that come from the factory. 2-3 bolts each and they just pop off and no problems since.

So yes, they do rub at first, but it is easy to resolve. If the wheels you're getting match factory offset, the tires will contact the inner front portion of the fender liner at full lock, but it does not make any noise, and is just barely touching. So the tire will clean a little patch of dirt off the liner, but will not make noise or damage the liner in any way. Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you might have!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, XCAPE! First of all, welcome to the forums!

The 235/65r17's are the largest tire you can fit from the factory, and this is because of the front to back clearances more than the top to bottom. A lift is not required to fit these size tires. I ran them for a few months on stock suspension before I got my front spacers.

Mine did rub just barely on one of the screws attaching the inner fender liner to the car up front. I removed the one screw on each side, and voila, no more rubbing and it did not affect the fender liners structural integrity. If I remember correctly, the back tires also rubbed a tiny bit on the little plastic mud guards that come from the factory. 2-3 bolts each and they just pop off and no problems since.

So yes, they do rub at first, but it is easy to resolve. If the wheels you're getting match factory offset, the tires will contact the inner front portion of the fender liner at full lock, but it does not make any noise, and is just barely touching. So the tire will clean a little patch of dirt off the liner, but will not make noise or damage the liner in any way. Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you might have!
Thanks for welcoming me in! So far this site has been the most valuable resource I've come across in learning about my Escape.

That's super helpful info about the rubbing issues; I definitely don't mind the small rubbing on the screws. I am going to have a local shop handle the install, so hopefully they don't mind either lol. Perhaps I'll do some maintenance on those bolts before I get there

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah I think I've got 25,000 miles on my falken wildpeak AT trails and they've done beautifully in snow and mud I even got in some kind of deep sloppy stuff and I thought I was going to get stuck and I made it out and I didn't even air down the PSI on my tires. I always forget to so yeah the all wheel drive system is really good for a crossover. Also I went with the largest size tire that you can get for the escape and this tire/wheel 235/60r18
and it does rub in the front a little bit whenever the suspension is fully flexed I wasn't planning on putting a 1 inch lift on the front because I already ordered my bronco but now that it looks like it's going to be about a year I think I am going to put that inch lift in the front I just worry that when I go to get an alignment that the people won't know how to do it correctly with a non-stock suspension. The pictures that I put on there are from just now this morning with about 25,000 miles on them and the tread is still amazing, barely worn down I love falkens they last so long every set that I've ever had has been amazing and never had issues with them.

141 - 160 of 191 Posts