2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

281 - 288 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's power always WHAT?
I am going nuts trying to figure that out. I just got a dashcam and don't know beans about hard wiring the camera without opening a can of worms in the process. Thanks...
There's lots of good info if you read through the whole thread. It's really not difficult at all. Once you read through it if you have more specific questions, I'm sure someone can answer them.

·
Registered
744 Posts
It's power always WHAT?
I am going nuts trying to figure that out. I just got a dashcam and don't know beans about hard wiring the camera without opening a can of worms in the process. Thanks...
What is meant is that you can plug your dashcam into the cig. lighter socket but it is always powered on even when the engine is off so if you leave your dashcam plugged in whilst parked or overnight it could drain the battery somewhat.
I have this setup but I remove the plug from the cig. lighter socket when parked or overnight etc. and replace it when I commence driving again.
It is fine to operate the dashcam this way but you can also get it hard wired in to bypass this problem and not worry about battery drain.

I haven't bothered hard wiring mine in as I might change vehicle sometime down the track and it is easier to remove the camera if it is just plugged in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2014 Titanium has that large piece of black plastic trim behind the rear view mirror. I had considered cutting away some of the plastic near the bottom to mount my dash cam as others have done, but I hesitated because I wasn’t sure how it would turn out, even with my Dremel. I was also concerned about breaking the piece while removing it, as it feels rather thin. But fear not! After A LOT of browsing through lists of Escape parts I finally found the replacement piece - and it’s only about $10 online (plus another $5 if you need the upper piece, too):

Rain Sensor Lower Cover: CJ5Z-17D550-AD

Rain Sensor Upper Cover: CJ5Z-17D550-AC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This helps, thank you. I think I will purchase the trim pieces to practice on fitting it to my new dashcam before installing it. I will feel much more comfortable modding a practice piece than I will the original.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have started wiring my dash cam into my 2014 Ford Escape. I have a Thinkware Q800 pro with rear camera and hardwire kit. The Q800 pro has a motion sensor with the ability to record when the vehicle is off, and a continuous record when the accessories/vehicle is turned on. To accomplish this, the hardwire kit has a red (continuous power), yellow (accessory power), and black (ground) wire. I used a ATM fuse tap to tap into fuse F58 for the red wire and a fuse tap to tap into F85 for the yellow (though F87 could work). F58 is a spare, and F85 is listed as "Electronic 15 feed" according to the manual.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
I have started wiring my dash cam into my 2014 Ford Escape. I have a Thinkware Q800 pro with rear camera and hardwire kit. The Q800 pro has a motion sensor with the ability to record when the vehicle is off, and a continuous record when the accessories/vehicle is turned on. To accomplish this, the hardwire kit has a red (continuous power), yellow (accessory power), and black (ground) wire. I used a ATM fuse tap to tap into fuse F58 for the red wire and a fuse tap to tap into F85 for the yellow (though F87 could work). F58 is a spare, and F85 is listed as "Electronic 15 feed" according to the manual.
Ya I have a blackvue 2 channel with park mode using the power magic. Similar install.
I ended up disabling the power magic park mode because it was too hard on my battery. We were getting battery low warnings too often.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Ya I have a blackvue 2 channel with park mode using the power magic. Similar install.
I ended up disabling the power magic park mode because it was too hard on my battery. We were getting battery low warnings too often.
I also had to disconnect the "power magic" on my Blackvue too for the same reason. Other than that, my Blackvue has preformed flawlessly. :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have a cheapie dashcam just plugged into my 12V port. I just remove it when parked and the parking mode works off the camera battery which probably only lasts for 4 or 5 hours which is fine and it goes flat overnight which doesn't matter coz the car is garaged then anyway. The camera battery charges up again whilst driving in no time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The nice thing about tapping into a spare is that if I notice a problem I can easily pull the tap out without disturbing anything else. I appreciate you and MoneyPit mentioning this so I can keep an eye on it.

I did finish my installation. I have the rain sensor on my Escape, which means I have that plastic cover running down behind the mirror. I ended up using a dremel with a drum sander to make a couple notches for the wires to go into the cover and up into the roof to be completely hidden. It looks nice and I am happy with the results. I'll try to report back in a couple weeks with any problems I may or may not have. Depending on how much driving I do with the current lock downs and shelter-in-place rules in various areas, I may try to post video to show the quality.

Because of the lock downs, etc, I may end up disconnecting the red wire on mine anyways. If the vehicle is sitting there too long without being run it may kill the battery. I think the sleep mode is better suited for vehicles that will be ran on a regular basis so the battery can charge.

281 - 288 of 288 Posts