2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,442 Posts
I bought this vehicle new with 18 miles on it in November of 2020. The example of the noise is in the attached videos. It began after the first few weeks of owning the car and has progressively gotten worse. Took it two separate dealerships. Both said "Ford was aware" but there was no fix as of now. I contacted ford corporate and said I did not want to be driving around a brand new vehicle sounding like this. The only possible solution that Ford gave me was a buy-back request.... which was declined. So basically I have a brand new vehicle that sounds like a 1980 pinto. Any suggestions?

Example 1
Example 2
I merged your new thread with the existing thread on this issue.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid Sandy Gold
3 Posts
I thought I was going crazy hearing this and my Escape is making the SAME noise. I noticed it in early November on one of the first cool/cold days. To confirm, when the car switches to "electric" mode the sound goes away right?

I first thought something was loose under the hood (some type of plastic cover or something) but played around and nothing seemed loose.

Is there any more detail on the Service Bulletin in terms of vehicle production dates, etc?
That's exactly the same happened on my 2020 Tit Hybrid. Last Dec in a cold snowy morning (-30C, windchill -48C) the mileage was around 18000km driving my wife to her workplace and as long as the gas engine kicks in, rattle sound from the hood and the car was "shaking" we can even see the cell phone on the vent rack vibrating too, but as long as it slows down using electric only, everything's back to normal. Took it to the dealer the service advisor said they can't find the similar situation in the shop as I told her and suggesting it might cause by ice stacked up in the wheels and sent me home! (Same as the blind spot detection system flashing without any cars on the side, the service guy said from the service bulletin it's less than 3% false alerts are considered normal operation and sent me home. Same as the speed compensation volume without compensating on speeding up, they said normal operation and don't compare with other vehicles as system operation varies between vehicle lines, model years and audio systems and sent me home! I used to own two GM cars before this Tit Hybrid they all work properly.) What kind of Ford services provided nowadays! Anyway after talking to my co-worker he advised might be due to fuel injector clogging (only 18000km and started clogging! Unbelievable). I then used one bottle of fuel injector cleaner (I think it's 150ml) on an empty fill-up and warm my car for at least 2 min every cold morning, touch wood, so far so good, because it's warmer weather in Canada since then. I'll report back in this winter later in 2021 folks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
December 18, 2020 Ford issued a service bulletin on this concern.

SSM 49411 - 2020 Escape - HF45 Transmission - Rattle Noise On Cold Start
Some 2020 Escape vehicles equipped with a HF45 transmission may exhibit a rattle noise on cold start up when only when engine is running. This noise may be more prevalent in cold weather conditions, typically at or below 0°C (32°F). Engineering is currently working to resolve this issue. Inform customers that Ford is working on a solution expected in January. In the interim, let the customer knowthat the vehicle is safe to drive, and schedule a follow-up appointment with the customer for late January. Once the solution becomes available, contact the customer and confirm the service appointment is going forward. Monitor OASIS for updates. Transmission replacement may not correct this concern.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2020 CAR: TC CX482N ESCAPE
The service center at my dealership told me Ford is providing a calibration update for this either in April or at the end of April

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid
22 Posts
Just posting to follow this thread, as we are picking up a 2020 escape hybrid tomorrow afternoon. I've had several other makes of hybrids, and a noise like this is not normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The videos in this thread match the noise on mine exactly. How the car was produced with this issue not showing up during testing and development is mind boggling. Anyway, hope they get a fix soon and there's no permanent damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanted to post on this thread with an update. Since my rattling and vibrating noise starting occurring during October of 2020 (almost a few days after I bought it)... and its just now warm weather. 60's-70's where I live. The temperature has NOTHING to do with the sound. If anything it has gotten worse. I think the only reason why you would hear it more on a cold start would be the actual motor is running for the internal heat or remote start not on battery. So the temperature is not actually "causing" the issue. I am going in tomorrow for an oil change at 5,900 miles and am going to ask what the status of a fix for this is. Totally ridiculous it has taken this long to get answers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wanted to post on this thread with an update. Since my rattling and vibrating noise starting occurring during October of 2020 (almost a few days after I bought it)... and its just now warm weather. 60's-70's where I live. The temperature has NOTHING to do with the sound. If anything it has gotten worse. I think the only reason why you would hear it more on a cold start would be the actual motor is running for the internal heat or remote start not on battery. So the temperature is not actually "causing" the issue. I am going in tomorrow for an oil change at 5,900 miles and am going to ask what the status of a fix for this is. Totally ridiculous it has taken this long to get answers!
I agree, the SSM does specify temperature, but I hear it when I pull into a drive through and the combustion motor kicks on. The service manager I spoke with said April sometime they are releasing something for the fix. Sounds like they have likely figured out the culprit but have to tweak it and test it before releasing. Let us know what they tell you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2020 Titanium Hybrid sounds like this, and Service says that after checking with "the hotline" (w/e that means) that this is considered "normal operation". I disagree. Anyone else have this model and trim, and have this same sound?

Marbles?

To add some more info:
-it has been making the rattling noise regardless of ambient temperature, whether the a/c is on or not, or whether the engine is warmed up or not -- if the motor is running, the knocking is there
-I picked the vehicle up from the dealer last night. Spoke with service mgr for a while, he said he did not work on the vehicle but would come outside as i started it, and sure enough he immediately said "ok yeah that does not sound normal-it sounds like something is loose", so at least now someone agrees with me and maybe they'll figure it out
-I also complained about my fordpass constantly throwing 'Vehicle is in Deep Sleep Mode' errors. They found a tsb to reflash the communication module. So far it has not given me the error again, but it's only been 12 hours...
Just received an update from my dealer, there is now a NEW service bulletin promising a repair in April

As follows

SSM 49646 - 2020-2021 Escape, 2021 Corsair - HF45 Transmission - Rattle Noise On Cold Start
Some 2020-2021 Escape and 2021 Corsair vehicles equipped with a HF45 transmission may exhibit a rattle noise on cold start up when only when engine is running.This noise may be more prevalent in cold weather conditions, typically at or below 0°C (32°F). Engineering is currently working to resolve this issue. Inform customers that Ford is working on a calibration release for end of April 2021. In the interim, let the customer know that the vehicle is safe to drive, and schedule a follow-up appointment with the customer for late April. Once the solution becomes available, contact the customer and confirm the service appointment is going forward. Monitor OASIS for updates. Transmission replacement may not correct this concern.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just received an update from my dealer, there is now a NEW service bulletin promising a repair in April

As follows

SSM 49646 - 2020-2021 Escape, 2021 Corsair - HF45 Transmission - Rattle Noise On Cold Start
Some 2020-2021 Escape and 2021 Corsair vehicles equipped with a HF45 transmission may exhibit a rattle noise on cold start up when only when engine is running. This noise may be more prevalent in cold weather conditions, typically at or below 0°C (32°F). Engineering is currently working to resolve this issue. Inform customers that Ford is working on a calibration release for end of April 2021. In the interim, let the customer know that the vehicle is safe to drive, and schedule a follow-up appointment with the customer for late April. Once the solution becomes available, contact the customer and confirm the service appointment is going forward. Monitor OASIS for updates. Transmission replacement may not correct this concern.
A "calibration release" entails a simple ECU recalibration as a solution for the transmission rattle noise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They finally released a TSB on this.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
HF45 Transmission - Rattle Noise On Cold Start - Built On Or Before 01-Apr-2021
21-2129
26 April 2021​
Model:
Ford
2020-2021 Escape
Transmission/Transaxle: (H4F45)

Issue: Some 2020-2021 Escape vehicles equipped with a HF45 transmission may exhibit a rattle noise on cold start up only when the engine is running. This noise may be more prevalent in cold weather conditions, typically at or below 0°C (32°F). This may be due to the software in the secondary on-board diagnostic control module C (SOBDMC). To correct this condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to reprogram the SOBDMC.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2020-2021 Escape
• Built on or before 01-Apr-2021
• Rattle noise on cold start up only when the engine is running

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
DescriptionOperation No.Time
2020-2021 Escape HF45 Transmission: Reprogram The Appropriate Modules As Required By The Software Update And Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
MT212129​
Actual Time​
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:RECAL
Condition Code:04
Service Procedure
1. Reprogram the PCM using the latest software level of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool.
2. Check the availability for software updates on the following modules (if equipped) and update as required:
(1). Secondary on-board diagnostic control module (SOBDM)
(2). Battery energy control module (BECM)
(3). Secondary on-board diagnostic control module B (SOBDMB)
(4). Secondary on-board diagnostic control module C (SOBDMC)
(5). Anti-lock brake system (ABS) module
NOTE: Only one module may be updated at a time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine was produced in July 2020 (per the date on the car sticker) and I absolutely have this issue as well. Assumption is that the date restriction (prior to April 1) means that Ford will not do any work to address this on a vehicle built later?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine was produced in July 2020 (per the date on the car sticker) and I absolutely have this issue as well. Assumption is that the date restriction (prior to April 1) means that Ford will not do any work to address this on a vehicle built later?
Date of build is April 1st 2021. Your escape is included.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone get this update yet? Did it work?
I got the update the day I posted the TSB, some things are different with the vehicle but I don’t think the majority of us will know if it will make the startups quieter until we get into sub freezing temps again.
since the TSB tells them to update a lot of other modules I noticed the adaptive cruise control is a little smoother and in-line with my Lincoln. It used to jam on the brakes if it crested a hill and went over the speed limit by 1 mph, now it seems to slow down smoother and when a car cuts into your preset following distance it used to jam on the brakes on our early build titanium, now if the vehicle infront infringes on your preset distance but is moving faster it seems to give it a few seconds to open up the gap before slowing down and sometimes if the other car opens up your preset gap distance it won’t even slow at all.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts