2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our 2020 Hybrid has had the same noise since new. Took it to the dealer last Monday and they performed the TSB recalibration but it didn't make any difference. The dealer then queried the Ford Hotline but after two days they have not gotten a response. The car is still at the dealer as the Service Advisor said he didn't think it was a good idea to continue driving it until it is fixed. Has anyone else had this or a different experience with the TSB recommended fix? Has anyone found a better solution to the rattling noise problem? Thanks for your help!
Thanks for posting. Interesting the comment made about "not driving until it is fixed"... This doesn't seem like a performance issue for now, just one that makes the user experience of driving not optimal.

I'm scheduled for my update next week and will see how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for posting. Interesting the comment made about "not driving until it is fixed"... This doesn't seem like a performance issue for now, just one that makes the user experience of driving not optimal.

I'm scheduled for my update next week and will see how it goes.
The dealer called yesterday with the latest. Ford said they don't have a fix for this problem and told the dealer to remove the transmission and ship it to Ford for examination so they can develop a repair procedure. Ford also authorized a new transmission for our Escape but with shipping and all the work needed it will be another week before we get the vehicle back.
Ours is a 2020, built in October 2020 and bought new at the end of February. It now has only 2900 miles. Hope others with this problem are having better luck.

Also, thanks for the previous discussion and for posting the TSB which alerted me to take action. But I noticed that there is another thread on this titled Transmission Rattle. Since the TSB and the problem seem to be with the transmission and not the motor, I was wondering if maybe the two discussions should be linked or something?

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,715 Posts
I noticed that there is another thread on this titled Transmission Rattle. Since the TSB and the problem seem to be with the transmission and not the motor, I was wondering if maybe the two discussions should be linked or something?
You could provide the link here to the other thread. So if anyone else is looking at this thread, they can also check out the link in the other thread.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So how serious is this issue? Seems like a full transmission replacement is a bit extreme?

Not sure what to expect when I bring my car in next week!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So how serious is this issue? Seems like a full transmission replacement is a bit extreme?

Not sure what to expect when I bring my car in next week!
We just got our Escape back today after 3 weeks at the dealership for repair of the transmission noise on cold start which the TSB was supposed to address. It seems to be fixed (the noise is gone) and we'll just have to wait to see if every thing was reassembled correctly. We'll see.

This all took over 3 weeks because the dealer advised us not to drive the vehicle until it was fixed and they had to wait for Ford to ship a new transmission to them. They also noted that this is a complicated repair requiring the hybrid battery system to be discharged (8 hours) and then re-charged and all systems re-booted (10-11 hours) and they had to disassemble the sub-frame in order to get the transmission in and out. The dealer also noted that Ford authorized the new transmission as ours qualified as a LTIS (Low Time in Service) vehicle. There was no cost to us, other than being without the vehicle, but the bill to Ford for parts and labor was over $13,000.

I'd be interested to learn what other owners with this same problem have done or found out. Thanks.

Note - There are related discussions of this problem under 4G Engine and Transmission, “Rattling Hybrid” and “Transmission Rattle.”

·
Registered
2020 SE Sport Hybrid AWD
26 Posts
I just got the TSB did on mine today. They reprogrammed the PCM, and it does seem a bit smoother, but I only had the rattle in cold weather, so I wont know until December whether this fixed it or not.

I imagine the transmission engineering group was happy they paid the 13k to get yours back…there was probably something extreme/unusual on yours that made the rattle so severe. They‘ll probably be looking at it to try to understand root cause.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Been driving mine for a week, transmission does "seem" smoother but until it gets to be below freezing (which I do NOT want in Chicago right now!) ;-) who knows.

Tech said he had to reprogram a bunch of modules and "it was easier when we just replaced stuff". Hilarious.

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid Titanium AWD 2013 SEL 2.0 FWD
4 Posts
I had the TSB performed on my 2020 Hybrid about 3-weeks ago. It has made virtually no difference to the rattle. When I pull out of my garage these days, the vehicle temperature is about 20C or 68F and the rattle is obvious. It goes away fairly quickly when the transmission is under load or when it has warmed up a bit. I have not contacted my dealer yet, but I will.... This issue and the subwoofer rattle are the only two complaints I have about the vehicle. (the sub seems like a DIY fix)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did the TSB updates today. Subjectively, it rattles less on idle and low RPMs. You can still hear it occasionally but not as noticeable. We’ll see how it is when the cold weather returns, it was a really rough idling below freezing temps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update from Europe - my Kuga PHEV (=Escape) had the transmission software update. It still rattles, but now the rattle has moved to higher speed 50-60 km/t = 30-38 Mph so now when cruising at city speed. Still audible.
Even after an 8 hour trip it rattles when completely hot. So it seems the rattle can not be fixed by software for all customers. Please post so we can get an idea of software success percentages :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update from Europe - my Kuga PHEV (=Escape) had the transmission software update. It still rattles, but now the rattle has moved to higher speed 50-60 km/t = 30-38 Mph so now when cruising at city speed. Still audible.
Even after an 8 hour trip it rattles when completely hot. So it seems the rattle can not be fixed by software for all customers. Please post so we can get an idea of software success percentages :)
I haven’t had mine done yet but plan to post as soon as I do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the TSB firmware update performed a week ago.
No continuing Marbles-in-Motor sound, but really it as during cold weather that it happened frequently for me.
One odd thing, when I picked it up, the sunroof would refuse to stay shut.
It would slide shut to a closed position and then fully re-open on it's own.
Two notes on this
1) Pressing and HOLDING the roof shut button until closed would make it stay shut.
However, the next time opened, it would return to bad behavior.
2) Dealer tech came out and performed a firmware restart (could not see button sequence).
Everything went back to factory-restart settings, and then the sunroof behaved.

Thanks to the blog members for finding the TSB, until I had the dealer kept saying Ford had no info on this issue.
Once I had the TSB in my hand, everything started to happen. ;););)

·
Registered
2020 SE Sport Hybrid AWD
26 Posts
I had the TSB firmware update performed a week ago.
No continuing Marbles-in-Motor sound, but really it as during cold weather that it happened frequently for me.
One odd thing, when I picked it up, the sunroof would refuse to stay shut.
It would slide shut to a closed position and then fully re-open on it's own.
Two notes on this
1) Pressing and HOLDING the roof shut button until closed would make it stay shut.
However, the next time opened, it would return to bad behavior.
2) Dealer tech came out and performed a firmware restart (could not see button sequence).
Everything went back to factory-restart settings, and then the sunroof behaved.

Thanks to the blog members for finding the TSB, until I had the dealer kept saying Ford had no info on this issue.
Once I had the TSB in my hand, everything started to happen. ;););)
good to know about the sunroof—mine sometimes doesn’t respond to the button the way i think it should—maybe i’ll have it looked at.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,318 Posts
There's a TSB on the sunroof bounce back also.
Dealer checks the alignment and does a re-initialization of the motor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone managed to have their HF45 transmission fixed without completely replacing it?

My dealer did the TSB 21-2129 software update but it made absolutely no difference.

My transmission has 3 types of bad noises:

1. Long (up to 15s) rattling noise and vibrations on gas engine starts regardless of ambient temperature. It may have something to do with the transmission fluid state. The longer the gas engine is off the louder and longer the noise on the next start. I think it's been getting progressively worse over time.

2. Short (1-2 seconds) metal grinding noise at apparently random moments when driving in hybrid mode. For example, when I stop and then accelerate quickly enough to get the gas engine started, and then as soon as I start letting go of the pedal, the noise happens.

3. Constant knocking and vibrations when the gas engine is running and I put it in Neutral.

This transmission is horrible. I've seen a lot of videos where people show the same problems with their Escapes all over the world. Usually they report one or two problems that I described above. But mine has all three and they are very obvious. It's been about a year and apparently Ford doesn't have any fixes other than that useless software update, which apparently attempts to address a major hardware design issue with a software patch. This should be a global recall and probably a total replacement of the transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Grulex

The three noises you describe are spot on.

I have information from a local facebook group. Here some users report the software update reduces the noise. But others report the software did nothing and the metal noises are still there.
Some in Denmark report that changing the clutch solves the problem (the clutch spring damper apparently makes the metal sound). It requires the engine and transmission to be completely removed.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Automotive exterior

My dealer simply says they are waiting for a solution from Ford. I have waited almost 1 year too...
My guess is that Ford is crunching the numbers, because if it is just the clutch, it probably does no damage, but it costs alot to replace.

This is the info I can I piece together so far. If anyone has more information please share with the forum :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Grulex

The three noises you describe are spot on.

I have information from a local facebook group. Here some users report the software update reduces the noise. But others report the software did nothing and the metal noises are still there.
Some in Denmark report that changing the clutch solves the problem (the clutch spring damper apparently makes the metal sound). It requires the engine and transmission to be completely removed.
View attachment 80078

My dealer simply says they are waiting for a solution from Ford. I have waited almost 1 year too...
My guess is that Ford is crunching the numbers, because if it is just the clutch, it probably does no damage, but it costs alot to replace.

This is the info I can I piece together so far. If anyone has more information please share with the forum :)
Clutch Disc Assembly # LX6Z-7550-A is usually called a flywheel damper plate... MSRP is only $189.23 in USA.
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Font

2020-2021 Ford Escape OEM Clutch LX6Z-7550-A | OEM Ford Parts

61 - 80 of 80 Posts