2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Grulex

The three noises you describe are spot on.

I have information from a local facebook group. Here some users report the software update reduces the noise. But others report the software did nothing and the metal noises are still there.
Some in Denmark report that changing the clutch solves the problem (the clutch spring damper apparently makes the metal sound). It requires the engine and transmission to be completely removed.
View attachment 80078

My dealer simply says they are waiting for a solution from Ford. I have waited almost 1 year too...
My guess is that Ford is crunching the numbers, because if it is just the clutch, it probably does no damage, but it costs alot to replace.

This is the info I can I piece together so far. If anyone has more information please share with the forum :)
Are they replacing it with an upgraded clutch disc assembly, or with the same original Ford part # LX6Z-7550-A ? Do you have a link to the facebook group?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Invader

It is the DK Kuga PHEV facebook group I have my info from (but it is in Danish). Ford sold more than 5000 PHEV Kuga (Escape) in DK in 2020 so it is a large group.

Sorry, but I do not know if there is an updated clutch part.
Most users say the dealers have no solution and await an official Ford fix (which now more than 1 year later has not been issued - except the magic software which does not seem to do much). It is just a few that had the clutch replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They finally released a TSB on this.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
HF45 Transmission - Rattle Noise On Cold Start - Built On Or Before 01-Apr-2021
21-2129
26 April 2021​
Model:
Ford
2020-2021 Escape
Transmission/Transaxle: (H4F45)

Issue: Some 2020-2021 Escape vehicles equipped with a HF45 transmission may exhibit a rattle noise on cold start up only when the engine is running. This noise may be more prevalent in cold weather conditions, typically at or below 0°C (32°F). This may be due to the software in the secondary on-board diagnostic control module C (SOBDMC). To correct this condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to reprogram the SOBDMC.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
DescriptionOperation No.Time
2020-2021 Escape HF45 Transmission: Reprogram The Appropriate Modules As Required By The Software Update And Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
MT212129​
Actual Time​
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part:RECAL
Condition Code:04
Service Procedure
1. Reprogram the PCM using the latest software level of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool.
2. Check the availability for software updates on the following modules (if equipped) and update as required:
(1). Secondary on-board diagnostic control module (SOBDM)
(2). Battery energy control module (BECM)
(3). Secondary on-board diagnostic control module B (SOBDMB)
(4). Secondary on-board diagnostic control module C (SOBDMC)
(5). Anti-lock brake system (ABS) module
NOTE: Only one module may be updated at a time.
And what about post-April 2021 vehicles? My Kuga/Escape FHEV rattles very audibly and it is bought in EU in August fresh from assembly line as I was told.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts